Nutrition and Dietetics at Viterbo
Growing health care demands mean opportunities for Registered Dietitians (R.D.) to promote health through nutrition. Dietitians assess nutritional needs, apply management skills in control and prevention of illness and utilize communication and education skills to help individuals and groups live healthy lives.
To become a registered dietitian, one must earn a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and perform 1,200 hours of supervised practice. Viterbo University is one of only 61 programs in the U.S. to offer coordinated programs that meet both requirements during your undergraduate studies, so no additional internship is required.
With a nutrition and dietetics degree from Viterbo University, graduates are eligible to take the Commission on Dietetics examination to become registered dietitian nutritionists. Program graduates are ready for rewarding careers in a variety of roles in food service management, healthcare, and community nutrition.
The Community-Medical Dietetic Program at Viterbo University is currently granted continuing accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190, Chicago, IL 60606, 800-877-1600.
- Access to the latest technology for nutrition assessment
- Students immediately apply what they’re learning in the classroom during supervised practice hours in a state-of-the-art food science lab
- Participation in body composition clinics for the athletics teams and biometric screenings of community members
- Opportunity for seniors to complete their final rotation outside of the immediate La Crosse area
- Guaranteed internships once in the professional phase of the program
“I truly feel that my education from Viterbo prepared me for my career as a dietitian. The various positions I hold demand that I use a variety of knowledge and skills, and Viterbo did an exceptional job of preparing me to do so.”
- Clinical dietitian
- Environmental health sanitarian
- Nutrition program consultant
- Nutrition specialist
- Registered dietitian
Graduate Schools/Employers of Alumni
- Brookdale Senior Living
- Courtesy Corporation
- Gundersen Health System
- Mayo Clinic Health System
- University of Minnesota
- University of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction