Viterbo University is closed today. All classes are cancelled and only essential personnel are required to report to work.
Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Conducting Human Subjects Research (HSR) at Viterbo
- Determine if your research project satisfies the definition of HSR and requires IRB approval using the interactive decision tree:
Do YOU need to submit YOUR project for IRB APPROVAL?
Refer to the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) Decision Charts for additional assistance. When in doubt, contact the Chair. Proceed to the following steps if you need IRB approval.
- Complete the online NIH Ethics Training. All researchers involved in a project must complete the training and provide certificates of completion (good for 3 years).
- Download and read through the Virbatim User Guide (MS Word) and follow the instructions to create an account and learn how to navigate the site. You will need a Viterbo id # and e-mail address to create an account. If you do not have a Viterbo id or e-mail please contact the IRB Administrative Assistant to request an invitation to set up an account.
- Login to Virbatim to complete an application and upload supporting documents. You will likely need to create some documents using available forms.
- Wait patiently for a review of your application by assigned IRB committee members. Once the review is complete, the IRB Chair will evaluate the reviewer feedback and either submit approval of your project or post correspondence for you on the PI Correspondence page of your project in Virbatim. Most projects are not approved upon initial submission and it is reasonable to expect correspondence, which usually occurs within 10-14 days for Exempt applications or 14-21 days for Expedited applications. Projects that require Full review will be discussed at a monthly committee meeting and the IRB Chair will post correspondence after this meeting. You will receive a message via e-mail when correspondence is posted; at that time, carefully respond to reviewer comments/questions/concerns as directed.
Note that the review process slows significantly during very busy times (end of Fall, Spring, and Summer terms) given the high volume of applications.
Need some help?
- Contact the IRB Administrative Assistant (Bobbi Hundt) at email@example.com or 608-796-3671 with general application processing questions and concerns including any issues with Virbatim.
- Contact the IRB Chair (Dr. David Bauer) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-796-3712 with specific application and research project issues.
Institutional Review Board (IRB)
All colleges and universities are required to establish an IRB in order to ensure that researchers comply with the federal regulations and ethical guidelines set forth by the Department of Health and Human Service's Office for Human Research Protections. Viterbo University has filed a Federalwide Assurance in which we promise to comply with these regulations and guidelines. Viterbo's IRB strives not only to ensure that researchers are in compliance with federal regulations, but also more generally to foster appreciation for the ethical principles of beneficence, justice, and respect for persons. Researchers honor Viterbo's mission and core values by upholding these ethical principles.