Frequently Asked Questions

Sometimes navigating college can be confusing. You may not know which questions to ask or where to begin. Here are some common questions:

Registration Questions

What does it mean when a class says “No sections available” in Student Planning?

Class sections are not released until about half-way through the previous semester. If you are viewing a semester a year or more ahead “No sections available” means the sections have not been planned yet. If you are planning sections for the next semester or registering for classes, “No sections available” means that the class will not be offered that semester.

Where can I find my registration time?

Your registration time for the following semester is released in the middle of the previous semester (e.g., your registration time for spring can typically be viewed sometime after mid-semester break). To view your time, log in to VitNet and click “My Registration Time” under “Registration” on the left-hand side of the Students menu.

Why can’t I register for classes?

If you are unable to register during your registration time, you have a hold on your account. The two most common types of holds are Business Office and Advisor holds. If you have a Business Office Hold, you likely have an outstanding balance on your account or you need to turn in paperwork. Contact the Business Office at 608-796-3850 or If you have an Advisor Hold, your advisor needs to see you and approve your schedule before you can register.

How do I register for an internship?

Once you have secured an internship and it is approved by your faculty advisor or career services, registration will be completed for you. For more information about obtaining an internship, contact Alyssa Gostonczik or make an appointment online.  

Can I be put on a waiting list for a class that is full?

Viterbo does not use the “Waitlist” function in Student Planning. Instead, contact the instructor of the course you wish to take to see if they have started a waitlist. Alternately, you are welcome to check back on the class regularly to see if someone has dropped or if seats have been added.

Why can’t I drop all my classes online?

Students must complete a Withdrawal Form online if they wish to drop all their classes and withdraw from Viterbo. Students should also contact their professional or faculty advisor to complete an exit interview.

How long can I drop and add classes?

Schedule changes (add or drop) can be made online through the last day of the first week of classes. Dropping a course after the first week must be done by completing an add/drop form, available in the Registrar’s Office. The form must be properly completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office by 4:00 p.m. of the deadline day. Drop dates for full-semester courses are listed in the Fall Semester Important Dates or Spring Semester Important Dates pages on the Registrar’s main page. Courses shorter than full semester will have prorated drop dates, which can be found in a link on the Important Dates pages.

Core Curriculum Questions

Why do I have to take Viterbo University Mission Seminars (VUSMs) and Core Curriculum classes?

As a liberal arts institution, Viterbo strives to provide students with a well-rounded education. Not only do these courses provide the skills employers are looking for (critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, teamwork, willingness to learn, initiative, analytical skills, organization, etc.), they also give students an opportunity to explore new subjects and develop as a whole person – mentally, spiritually, ethically, and culturally.

For more information, view the mission statement, structure, and learning outcomes of the LIVE Core Curriculum.

How do I know what classes can fulfill core requirements?

The easiest way to search for core requirement classes is through My Progress in Student Planning. Log into VitNet and click “Student Planning.” Once you are in Student Planning, click “View Your Progress.” Here you will see each of the core requirements, as well as the requirements for your major. Click the “Search” button below and to the right of the requirement you are looking for. This lists the classes that count for the requirement.

Where can I find Co-Counting VUSMs?

There are several ways to determine if a class counts for both a Core Curriculum Ways of Thinking class and a VUSM:

  1. In Student Planning, search for VUSMs by navigating to “Progress” and clicking the “Search” button in the VUSM category. The letters at the end of each course description will indicate which VUSM the course satisfies (FVT, LDW, SCG, or TEL) and if the course satisfies any Ways of Thinking (HA, LA, NS, SS, AE, TI, IFP, PMI).
  2. When searching for a course that satisfies a Ways of Thinking requirement, any VUSM listed co-counts for both the Ways of Thinking and a VUSM. Again, this will be noted in the letters at the end of the course description.
  3. Review the list of the Co-Counting Mission Seminars.

Graduation Plan Questions 

What is a four-year plan or graduation plan? How do I get one?

Each student should develop, with his or her advisor, a plan outlining the courses required for graduation and the proposed semester each course will be taken. The plan, which may be shorter than four-years, is a planning tool and is NOT the official document that will be used to determine if all graduation requirements have been met. The student and advisor should consult both the plan and the degree audit each semester to make sure the student is making progress toward graduation, updating the plan as changes occur.

What is an elective?

An elective is a class of your choice. Some majors include a range of courses to choose from in a specific subject, while others leave room for you to customize your degree by taking courses in any subject. Electives can also be satisfied by adding a minor.

What is a degree audit? Where can I find my degree audit? How do I read the degree audit?

The degree audit is your official list of the requirements you must complete to graduate. You should check your degree audit at least once a semester to make sure you are progressing toward your goals. The degree audit can be found in Student Planning on VitNet. Select “Student Planning” from the list under “Academic Profile” on the left-hand side of the Students Menu on VitNet. Once you are in Student Planning, click “View Your Progress” or “Go to My Progress.” Your degree audit will load and you will be able to see which requirements have been fulfilled, which are planned or in progress, and which have not been started.

Advising Questions

What is Dual Advising? Why do I have two advisors?

Incoming freshmen are assigned two advisors –an academic advisor and a faculty advisor. The academic advisor works full time as an advisor and typically does not teach classes. They receive special training on core requirements, development of graduation plans, and services available to students (tutoring, disability services, counseling, etc.). Freshmen meet with their academic advisor three times each semester. Sophomores meet with their academic advisor twice each semester.

The faculty advisor is a professor in your major. They are experts in your field of study and can help with everything related to your major—classes, research, internships, etc. Freshmen are encouraged to meet with their faculty advisor to establish a working relationship and learn more about their major. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are required to meet with their faculty advisor at least once each semester. 

How do I change my advisor?

Some students do not feel that they have a good working relationship with their advisor and they ask for a change. It is best if they have talked with the advisor and tried to resolve any differences, but sometimes this does not occur. A student requesting an advisor change may email or complete the UG Academic Changes form. It is preferred that the student contact the new advisor to discuss the change, but if this is not done a new advisor will be assigned.

How do I change my major?

A student interested in changing majors should discuss this desire with both the current advisor and the chairperson/dean for the new major.  A student changing majors must complete the UG Academic Changes form.

How do I add or change a minor?

Students are not required to declare a minor unless specified for a given major or school. Students may choose one or more minors from the approved list in the University Catalog and complete the UG Academic Changes form. The requirements for a minor are listed by each department in the respective catalog. In a student's choice of a minor, the student must follow one and the same catalog along with the major.

Academic Progress Questions

What is Starfish?

The Starfish Early Alert program is a way for instructors to provide feedback regarding student progress. Students may receive "kudos" for exemplary progress or "flags" for areas of concern. The mission of Early Alert at Viterbo University is to continue to motivate students who are doing well in a course as well as to identify students who are having academic difficulty. 

How can I determine, before the last semester, if I am ready to graduate?

Use the degree audit! Two semesters before graduation, determine which course requirements remain and register for the classes needed. After you register for the last semester, go back to your degree audit to make sure all requirements will be met. Courses for which you have registered but not yet completed will be yellow and will state “In Progress.” If every requirement is either labeled “Completed” or “In Progress,” you should be ready for graduation at the end of the semester if you successfully complete each class.

How do I know if I am making satisfactory progress for my Financial Aid?

Briefly, a student must have a 2.0 GPA and must complete 20 credits per academic year (full-time students). Students who do not meet one of these criteria are at risk of losing financial aid. Students are allowed to receive financial aid for a maximum of 192 attempted credits. For more information, please check with Financial Aid or see the following: Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid

How do I maintain athletic eligibility?

Detailed information about eligibility can be found in the Student-Athlete Handbook, located on the Viterbo Athletics page.

Campus Resources/Services

What help is there for students who are struggling academically?

If you find that you are struggling, please see your advisor. He or she can help you find resources on campus to help you. Students who are having difficulty in one or more courses can get help from the Academic Resource Center. There are a number of services available, including tutoring, math and writing assistance, help with time management and study skills, and more. Students needing assistance with career planning, finding jobs or internships or job search skills can contact the Career Services office. You could also make an appointment to meet with an academic advisor by calling 608-796-3084, or emailing

What do I do if I do not know what to major in? What are my options?

You can choose from more than 50 majors that Viterbo University offers. You can also contact the Career Services office and make an appointment to talk with someone about various program options. Finally, your academic advisor can discuss your current program as well as refer you to other offices for additional support. 

Where can I find important dates, like when classes start or the last day to drop a class?

The Business Office student information page lists dates related to billing, charging books at the bookstore, and refund checks. 

Important dates, such as semester start and end dates, breaks, and drop and add dates, can be found on the Registrar's website, in the right-hand menu.

How do I know what books I need for my classes?

The Viterbo Bookstore website has a feature that allows you to search for required materials by class.

Where can I find out the cost of tuition?

The tuition and fees schedule can be found on the Business Office website.

How do I request my Viterbo transcripts?

Unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from VitNet at no charge. In the Students Menu of Vit Net, click “Unofficial Transcript PDF” on the right side, under “Academic Profile.”

Official transcripts must be requested from the Registrar.

How do I get permission to take a class at another college/ university?

Before taking a class at another school, fill out the Transfer Course Request form. The Registrar will check to make sure the same information is covered and will notify you. After completing the class and receiving your grade, you must submit transcripts from the other school to the Viterbo Registrar in order to get credit. For help finding a course that will transfer, try checking our Transfer guides.

I took a class at another school before I started at Viterbo. Is it too late to get credit for it?

It is never too late to submit transcripts for a course you have taken. You can request your transcripts from the school you attended and have them sent to the Viterbo Registrar. Once your transcripts have been reviewed, the course(s) will be added to your plan in Student Planning.

What are office hours?

Office hours are the times instructors have set aside to talk with students about class concerns, questions about assignments, clarification of material, etc. Students are strongly encouraged to use these times to get to know their instructors and get help in classes. Keep in mind that office hours are typically not the only times instructors are on campus, so if you can’t make it to office hours, feel free to contact your instructor via e-mail or before/after class to set up another time to meet.