Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How can I find out about living on campus, such as size of beds, storage, and parking on campus?

  • Many of these questions can be answered by contacting the Office of Residence Life,  and much of the information can be found on their Prospective Students web page. 
  • For answers to these specific questions:  The size of the mattresses in campus housing are twin XL.  Storage is available in all campus housing except Marian Hall, Bonaventure Hall, La Verna Apartments, and Clare Apartments.  Parking permits are issued to sophomores, juniors and seniors.  All new first-year and transfer students are welcome to park on the streets; please be aware that the City of La Crosse follows alternate side parking October through March.

Is cable provided in the residence hall rooms and apartments?

  • Yes.  However, for the student's TV to work, it must be newer than 2009 and have a QAM tuner to use with Fiber Connect Plus (FC+) on campus.  If purchasing a new TV for your student, please verify the specifications with a sales representative to ensure it has a QAM tuner that works with FC+.

How safe is campus?

  • Campus Safety and Residence Life personnel are available at Viterbo University 24 hours each day, every day, all year.  Security officers and Residence Life staff are trained to handle a variety of calls and complaints from the Viterbo University Community.  Security officers and Residence Life staff have the authority to ask individuals for identification and, in the case of of Campus Safety and Security, to determine whether those persons have lawful business with the University and to issue parking tickets billed through the business office.  The safety and well-being of the Viterbo campus community is a priority.  Many campus and community officials are involved in keeping the campus safe.  The annual university security report can be found on the Viterbo's Campus Safety and Security website.

Will I be able to see my student's grades?

  • Federal law makes the distribution of a student's records to anyone other than the student illegal.  Viterbo University fully complies with this federal law known as the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  Parents and families should encourage students to share their grades with them so that they may be able to provide support.  Many families find it helpful to set expectations with their student in advance about when and how students will share their grades.

What assistance is available for students who may experience academic difficulty?

  • If your student seems to be struggling academically, they should reach out to their advisor.  The advisor can help your student find resources on campus specific to their need.  Students who may be having difficulty in one or more courses may benefit from help from the Academic Resource Center (ARC).  The ARC provides academic support for ALL students.  Students needing assistance with determining a major, career planning, finding jobs or internships or job search skills can contact Career Services.  Students can also reach out for help from Academic Advising by emailing or calling 608-796-3084.

Where can we find information about study abroad opportunities?

  • Viterbo University offers many study abroad opportunities.  For more information, please visit the Study Abroad web page.

Where do I send mail to my student?

  • All on-campus residents halls and apartments receive mail at:  Student Name, 900 Viterbo Drive, Mailbox #, La Crosse, WI 54601

Are the residence halls open during scheduled breaks?

  • Residence halls close at 6 p.m. on the last day of class before winter and spring break.  Residents in Bonaventure and Marian Halls are expected to vacate their rooms during these periods.  Exceptions are made only for students whose residences are more than 500 miles away from the University.  These exceptions must be requested in advance through the Office of Residence Life.

What if my student and their roommate have a conflict?

  • Each year we have students complete a roommate success plan to help guide the rules of living together.  Should a conflict arise, we always encourage students to talk out their problems before going to a Resident Assistant (RA) or a staff member.  If the roommates need assistance with the issue, have your student talk with their RA who has access to many resources and can tell them the next steps in solving roommate conflicts.  If, in the end, one of the residents would like to move out of the room, they will need to talk with a Residence Life professional staff member to discuss options of available spaces on campus.

What if my student gets homesick on campus?

  • Being homesick at the beginning of the school year is common.  We suggest that students stay on campus for the first few weeks of school to learn their way around, get involved in on-campus activities, and make new friends.  Sometimes, however, there may be an underlying issue.  If you believe this may be the case, ask your student to speak to their Resident Assistant (RA), a professional staff member in the Office of Residence Life, a member of our Counseling Services team, or the school nurse.  Should your student become ill during the school year, they will be encouraged to seek medical attention from the school nurse or one of the local clinics/hospitals.  It is always important that your student contact their RA and professors when missing classes or going home for a medical condition.  For more information, visit Counseling Services or Health Services.

When should I get involved in problems at school?

  • The college years are years of growth and maturity for your student.  As much as possible, we ask that you allow your student to gain experience handling their own affairs in Viterbo's student-centered environment.  We encourage your involvement if you feel your student needs help or is in danger.  As much as we would like to tell you everything that is going on with your child, we are prohibited by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  Your student may authorize you to access their privileged information, but they must first sign a release of information. To access the release of information, please follow the instructions outlined here.