Center for Student Success


Frequently Asked Questions

Sometimes navigating college can be confusing.  You may not know which questions to ask or where to begin.  Below are some common questions:

What is a degree audit? Where can I find my degree audit? How do I read the degree audit? 

The degree audit is your official list of the requirements you must complete to graduate. You should check your degree audit at least once a semester to make sure you are progressing toward your goals. The degree audit can be found on VitNet. Select Degree Audit from the list under “Academic Profile” on the right-hand side of the Students Menu on VitNet. You will be given a choice of selecting the current major (listed under Active Programs) or trying a different major using the drop-down menu (What if).  There are instructions on reading the degree audit on the Registrar’s VitNet Guides page.

What is a four-year plan? How do I get one?

Each student should develop, with his or her advisor, a plan outlining the courses required for graduation and the proposed semester each course will be taken. The plan, which may be shorter than four-years, is a planning tool and is NOT the official document that will be used to determine if all graduation requirements have been met. The student and advisor should consult both the plan and the degree audit each semester to make sure the student is making progress toward graduation, updating the plan as changes occur.

How can I determine, before the last semester, if I am ready to graduate?

Use the degree audit! Two semesters before graduation, determine which course requirements remain and register for the classes needed. After you register for the last semester, go back to your degree audit to make sure all requirements will be met. Courses for which you have registered but not yet completed will appear as “PR” courses but they will be placed into the appropriate spots in the degree audit. If every requirement is either labeled “Complete” or “Pending completion of unfinished activity,” you should be ready for graduation at the end of the semester if you successfully complete each class.

How do I know if I am making satisfactory progress for my Financial Aid?

Briefly, a student must have a 2.0 GPA and must complete 20 credits per academic year (full-time students). Students who do not meet one of these criteria are at risk of losing financial aid. Students are allowed to receive financial aid for a maximum of 192 attempted credits. For more information please check with Financial Aid or see the following: Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid

What help is there for students who are struggling academically?

If you find that you are struggling, please see your advisor. He or she can help you find resources on campus to help you. Students who are having difficulty in one or more courses can get help from the Academic Resource Center. There are a number of services available, including tutoring, math and writing assistance, help with time management and study skills, and more. Students needing assistance with career planning, finding jobs or internships or job search skills can contact the Career Services office. You could also make an appointment to meet with an academic advisor by stopping by the Drop-In Help Office, calling 608-796-3084, or emailing

What do I do if I do not know what to major in?  What are my options?

You can choose from more than 50 majors that Viterbo University offers.  You can also contact the Career Services office and make an appointment to talk with someone about various program options.  Finally, your academic advisor can discuss your current program as well as refer you to other offices for additional support.