Are you interested in majoring in Business, Education, Criminal Justice, Psychology, or Social Work? This event is for YOU! Join us from 8:30 AM -11:30 AM for our VU Preview Day.
VU Preview Event includes:
- Resource Fair
- Admission and financial aid presentations
- Tour of campus including residence halls
- Student Panel
- Free Viterbo swag
Stay for our afternoon session that is designed especially for you! Join faculty, alumni and current students for a luncheon and breakout session from 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM. Learn what sets Viterbo students apart and why employers are choosing their skill sets above other recent graduates.
Business, Education, and Human Services Session includes:
- Special luncheon
- Keynote speaker, Tom Thibodeau
- Breakout sessions
Register for both here: Saturday, November 12
Social Work at Viterbo
Social work is a rewarding and dynamic profession for those with a strong desire to help individuals and families improve their lives. Social workers work with people and collaborate with other organizations or practitioners to discover solutions to problems in everyday lives that improve relationships and resolve personal and family challenges. Students who major in social work learn how to work with a variety of groups including children, families, people living with physical or mental health challenges, victims and perpetrators of crimes, persons with addictions, and the elderly.
Social work majors at Viterbo University learn from highly skilled faculty with extensive experience as social work practitioners. Students learn interviewing techniques, shadow social workers, and observe intake at the Salvation Army. All students complete a 450-hour field education placement (30 hours a week for one semester) in a social service setting mentored and supervised by an agency-based social worker and a social work faculty liaison.
With a social work degree from Viterbo University, graduates will be ready to work with a variety of age groups to help improve their daily life.
- 100 percent of Viterbo University students passed the National Association of Social Work Board licensing exam in 2014
- Participate in the National Association of Social Workers Advocacy Day joining hundreds of other social workers for a day at the capitol in Madison
- Course-related field trips to treatment centers, funeral homes, the Hmong Cultural Center, and regional social services conferences
- Active chapter of the National Social Work Honor Society, Phi Alpha
- Active social work club that sponsors events, engages in community service, and raises money for local causes
- Opportunities for undergraduate research mentored by social work faculty
"The skills I gained with my degree in social work at Viterbo have allowed me to succeed in a wide range of positions—from small group intervention with elementary students in a charter school to developing and implementing programs from the ground-up with a new nonprofit. The close relationships I was able to develop with the faculty allowed them to get to know me and to challenge me to be the best I could be. They provided me with all the tools I needed to succeed. My experiences have taught me that the quality of education you get at Viterbo is unique and not one you are likely to find anywhere else."
- Adult mental health case manager
- Case manager for elderly and disabled
- Child protective services worker
- Disabilities benefit specialist
- Obstetrics and pediatric social worker
- Special needs adoption worker
- Treatment foster care worker
Graduate Schools/Employers of Alumni
- Columbia University
- Coulee Council on Addictions
- Gundersen Health System
- La Crosse County Human Services
- Mayo Clinic Health System
- New Horizons
- University of Wisconsin
- Western Technical College