PK-12 Principal/Supervisor of Special Education (IA 189)
Our Iowa PK-12 Principal -Supervisor of Special Education 189 is a two-year, six-semester program which requires an internship during each of the six semesters. The internship is conducted onsite with an approved mentor, which is usually the student's principal. This program meets the standards set by the Iowa Department of Education.
24 credits of core principal coursework (8 courses)
6 credits of clinical/internship (6 semesters/courses)
Pair with the Master of Arts in Education, an additional six credits for a total 36 credit hours.
- 6 credits of core master's coursework (two courses) - online
Admission Requirements for all Graduate Programs in Education (degree, license, endorsement, or certificate) include the following, but may include additional program-specific admission requirements:
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA for 12 graduate credits from an accredited institution in order to be admitted in good standing
- Earned teaching or administrative license
- One academic reference contact required for Wisconsin and Iowa Educational Leadership programs
All requirements for any graduate program in education must be completed within seven years from the date of application to the graduate program. Coursework must have been taken within the last seven years from the date of application to be applied to program requirements, with the exception of Iowa Educational Leadership programs which is limited to five years.
A student must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 to complete any graduate program in education and a grade of C or higher earned in all Viterbo University coursework.
Students who have completed any Viterbo University graduate program within the last seven years may use up to 15 credits of eligible graduate level courses to satisfy the elective requirements for degree candidacy in the Master of Arts in Education Program
Students who have completed the Viterbo University Post-baccalaureate program within the last seven years may use up to fifteen credits of eligible graduate level courses toward the elective requirement for degree candidacy in the Master of Arts in Education Program
Iowa PK-12 Principal -Supervisor of Special Education License (IA 189)
- Completion of internship requirements (400 hours)
- Presentation of capstone portfolio indicating proficiency on Iowa Standards for School Leadership
Master of Arts in Education and Educational Leadership
Upon acceptance, student may transfer up to six credit hours of graduate credit taken within seven years of application date to be applied to the MAE degree program. Up to six credit hours taken within seven years of application may be considered for the Wisconsin Educational Leadership program for equivalent graduate courses. Up to six semester credit hours taken within five years of application may be considered for the Iowa Educational Leadership program for equivalent graduate courses.
- Standard 1: Mission, Vision, and Improvement
- Standard 2: Ethics and Professional Norms
- Standard 3: Equity, Inclusiveness, and Cultural
- Standard 4: Learning and Instruction
- Standard 5: Community and External Leadership
- Standard 6: Operations and Management
- Standard 7: Building Professional Capacity
- Standard 8: The Internship