To be accepted into the program at Viterbo University for 2024-25 academic year, students must meet the following requirements:
- Completion (by August 15, 2024) of a Bachelor of Science degree and the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) Requirements. NOTE: For those submitting the Declaration of Intent form, a verification statement and an official transcript verifying awarding of a bachelor's degree must be received by the internship director at Viterbo University, postmarked, no later than August 25, 2024. Acceptance of these individuals is conditional upon completion of degree and minimum academic requirements as specified above. Failure to submit these items by the due date will nullify acceptance status.
- Cumulative (at graduation) undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Strong science background. Transcripts must show at least a grade of B in each of the following undergraduate courses: freshman chemistry, anatomy and physiology (or separate courses), biochemistry, organic chemistry, experimental foods and/or food science.
- Strong nutrition background. Transcripts must show at least a grade of B in each of the following undergraduate courses: normal nutrition, advanced nutrition, foodservice systems, medical nutrition therapy.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Willingness to work as a team member.
- The ability to function independently.
Priority Application Process
Viterbo University will be accepting applications EARLY through their priority application process. This priority application process allows you to apply and receive notification of acceptance prior to the spring match.
Priority applications should include:
- A written statement of purpose (Essay). In 500 words or less, address the following question:
- How will this program help you to reach your professional goals? Discuss your strengths and potential challenges. Please also note which TRACK you are interested in completing in your personal statement.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities
- A resume
- One letter of reference
All application materials should be online (https://www.viterbo.edu/apply-viterbo-university) no later than 5pm on Monday, November 6th. Acceptance decisions will be made no later than December 4th so that applicants have adequate time to apply the DICAS match, should it be necessary.
Viterbo University will also be Participating in the Centralized Application System for Spring 2023 Computer Matching Process
- The program is using the online centralized internship application, DICAS, which may be accessed at https://portal.dicas.org/; email DICASinfo@DICAS.org. The online application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on Feb. 15, 2024. The fee to use DICAS is $50 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional application.
- Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement in 1,000 words or less. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- Please also note which TRACK you are interested in completing in your personal statement
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to: DICAS - Transcript Dept., P.O. Box 9118, Watertown, MA 02472
- When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an email address) for each reference. This will trigger an email message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed on-line. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
- Applicants must also register online for computer matching and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15. There is a $55.00 computer matching fee.
- Applicants will participate in a phone interview with dietetics faculty as part of the selection process.
For Second Round Applicants
Submit your application through DICAS. It is important to submit applications as soon as possible after DICAS opens on Wednesday, April 3, 2024 at 11 a.m. CST as applications are reviewed on a first come, first served basis.
We do not require an application fee.
Once matched to Viterbo's internship, all dietetic interns will be asked to submit certain immunization information and submit to a criminal history check. Those whose criminal history check identifies bars to clinical placement or places restrictions on client contact will not be admitted to the program. Falsifying information on any Criminal History form results in immediate dismissal from the internship program.
Upon acceptance to the Viterbo dietetic internship, students get entered into the university system by creating an account and filling out the online application. Do not fill out the application until you have been matched and accepted into the Viterbo program and instructed to do so by the internship director.
For more information:
Maria Morgan-Bathke, MBA, PhD, RD, CD, FAND
Assistant Professor, Director Dietetic Internship
Chair, Nutrition and Dietetics Department
Toll free 1-800-VITERBO, ext. 3660