The Viterbo University School of Nursing is a fully accredited, regionally distinctive program offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees. The School of Nursing has over 600 students enrolled in its programs. Students benefit from receiving nursing education from a variety of faculty who are experts in their respective areas of nursing practice.
As members of the larger university community, nursing students study philosophy, religion, science, the arts and humanities. With deep roots in the Franciscan tradition of health care service, students meet high standards as they become highly competent, liberally educated professional nurses.
We believe nursing is a holistic, caring science. Our core values – caring, integrity, commitment, collegiality, and wisdom – together with our Catholic Franciscan traditions form the basis of a curriculum and learning environment designed to instill a sense of scholarly inquiry, a quest for excellence, and an aptitude for leadership and service in a dynamic healthcare environment. Faculty, staff, and students collaborate in forming an innovative, transformative learning experience while cultivating the importance of diversity, relationship-based care, and a holistic approach to persons.
We recognize the importance of reflection, engagement, and curiosity in developing ethical leaders who embrace sustainability and service. Through a commitment to quality, we strive to provide learning spaces and activities for our students that are grounded in multiple ways of knowing and an evidence informed base to build confidence and competence. We recognize the importance of developing resilience that accompanies participation in self-care practices.
The School of Nursing prepares nurse leaders for professional holistic nursing practice and advancement of nursing knowledge, through the pursuit of wisdom. Faculty create an educational experience that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion within the values of caring, wisdom, integrity, collegiality, and commitment for faithful service and ethical leadership in a global community.
The School of Nursing will develop nursing leaders whose competence, caring, and commitment to excellence will empower individuals and communities to achieve their highest level of health and well-being.
- We recognize and honor the dignity of students, faculty, and those we serve.
- We strive to interact with all persons in respectful and compassionate ways.
- We strive to create an inclusive environment which honors the diverse life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds of all persons.
- We accept personal accountability for all we say and do.
- We strive to base our actions on ethical principles and values that flow from the Franciscan tradition.
- We are committed to pursuing excellence in education and learning.
- We are committed to professional development through scholarly activities.
- We are committed to advocate for the health of all persons and for advancing the profession of nursing.
- We are committed to living by the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion and ensure that all voices are heard.
- We recognize and celebrate diversity and contribute our individual talents to our common work as scholars and professionals.
- We recognize that reflection and discernment are integral to learning and professional growth and are vital for advancing nursing practice.
*Ethical Principles include autonomy, beneficence, nonmaleficence, justice and veracity.
*Values include contemplation, integrity, service, hospitality and stewardship.
The goals of the School of Nursing are to:
- implement a professional nursing curriculum that builds on a strong liberal arts foundation for undergraduate learners and offers specialization, expansion, and/or advancement in nursing practice for graduate and professional learners;
- provide an educational experience that emphasizes active learning in a values based context;
- create a collegial environment that facilitates the professional development of students and faculty;
- prepare graduates for professional practice in a dynamic health care environment.