Purpose and Use
Qualtrics is a web-based survey service that is available for use by all Viterbo University faculty, administrators, staff and students. The Viterbo Qualtrics survey research tool allows users to conduct research and gather information in support of the university's educational mission and organizational goals.
Who Can Use Qualtrics?
The survey tool is available for unlimited use by all Viterbo faculty, staff, and administrators. All students have access to create surveys and to deploy them. Students are limited to a maximum of five (5) active surveys and a maximum of 2000 total responses (including survey deployment, reminders, and submission of a completed survey) for the lifetime of the account. Students may request expansion of these limits, with the recommendation of a faculty member, advisor, or supervisor.
Getting Started – Creating an Account
First-time users of Qualtrics will be prompted to create their account upon logging in for the first time. Use the same process stated below for logging in. Users may create only one Qualtrics account. To ensure your account is created within the Viterbo framework, use the link below, or the link found on My VU.
Click the link to login to Viterbo Qualtrics, enter your campus username and password (username portion only, don't include the @viterbo.edu). A link for Qualtrics can also be found on the My VU landing page.
Qualtrics Questions and Training
Most questions on how to use Qualtrics can be answered from the Qualtrics Support website. At the main support page, you can search for topics and there is also a link called "Training on XM Basecamp" that contains instructional videos on Qualtrics useage. You may also contact Qualtrics via e-mail (email@example.com), or by phone (1-800-340-9194).
For trouble logging in to Qualtrics or basic Qualtrics questions, you can contact one of the Institutional Research department team members.
Viterbo University Survey Policy and Guidelines
1. All use of Qualtrics, distribution of survey, and use of university computers will be in compliance with the Viterbo University Appropriate Use of Technology Policy.
2. All research conducted will comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
3. All research conducted on human subjects must seek Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval, with these exceptions:
- Surveys conducted by university personnel for the purposes of improving existing services and programs or developing new services or programs for students, employees, or alumni.
- Surveys that focus on university processes, services, or policies for the purpose of quality improvement or quality assurance, unless the clear intent is for generalizable knowledge.
- Course-related activities or assignments for teaching purposes that are part of a course, with the stipulation that the information collected is not disseminated for use outside the classroom.
- Data collection for internal department or administrative purposes, such as event evaluations or university group elections.
4. To minimize over-surveying of campus groups and to eliminate collection of duplicative information, the Office of Assessment and Institutional Research serves as the Survey Clearinghouse for surveys distributed to campus groups for the purposes of quality improvement or quality assurance.
5. The Data Governance Committee may also review the survey for approval.
6. A Calendar of Scheduled Surveys can be seen by clicking the link below. Anyone requesting approval to administer a survey should consult the schedule before submitting a survey request. Ideally only two surveys should be on the schedule at the same time, and course evaluations have priority.