After seven years of full-time faculty service, any tenured faculty member above the rank of instructor may apply for one semester or one year of sabbatical leave to pursue work relevant to the applicant’s faculty responsibilities at Viterbo University. Preferred projects promote student learning at Viterbo University and may develop expertise in other areas of strategic importance to the institution.
Eligible faculty may apply for one of the following:
- a full academic year's sabbatical with pay and benefits reduced by one-half
- one semester’s leave at full pay and full benefits
- or, in exceptional cases, three summers’ release with total pay equal to half the salary received during the academic year prior to the first summer of leave. Summer sabbatical recipients receive one-third of their total leave’s pay during each summer of release.
A faculty member may obtain sabbatical release only once in any seven-year period and may not receive sabbatical release within two years of receiving a scholar’s release.
Process for Application, Review, and Completion
- The faculty development director calls for sabbatical applications for the following academic year and uploads the most recent application, rubric, and administrative approval form to the Faculty Development Grants web page by Sept. 1.
- Eligible faculty submit completed applications to the VP for Academic Affairs, to the chair of faculty development, and to the applicant’s department/program chair and dean by Oct. 1.
- Applicants submit to the chair of Faculty Development the required approval form (Administrative Approval for Sabbatical or Scholar’s Leave) signed by the applicant, the VP for Academic Affairs, and the applicant’s chair or program director and dean no later than Nov. 1.
- All members of the Faculty Development Committee review and score applications according to the Rubric for Sabbatical or Scholar’s Release, and the committee recommends applicants for release to the VP for Academic Affairs and president by Nov. 1. The grant rubric privileges applicants pursuing tenure or promotion and those who have not received a previous scholar’s release or sabbatical.
- The president notifies award recipients of release on or before Nov. 15.
- Within one academic year following receipt of a sabbatical, recipients share the results of their projects at the Viterbo Celebration of Faculty Scholarship. Failure to share the funded project at Viterbo within a year of release will adversely affect the recipient’s future applications for release. Necessary changes to this policy may be negotiated with the faculty development director, preferably at the time of grant application.
Forms and Samples
Note: Viterbo ID required to access.