Under the direct supervision of the Director of Recreation, the fitness/wellness professional intern will be responsible for assisting with day to day facility operations as well as program development. The position will support the director and provide practical experience in a fitness environment. The individual will gain and apply leadership experience as well as become more adept at: management, assessment, marketing, presentations, instruction, meeting management, etc. The goal is to place one on course to be a well-rounded professional in the field of their choice.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and enforcement of all facility policies and procedures.
- Assist with the fitness equipment inventory, routine maintenance/upkeep, and help promote a safe and fair environment for a diverse population.
- Provide for comprehensive facility supervision in conjunction with Director’s and Assistant Director’s schedules.
- Be locally available for on-call coverage as scheduled by the department.
- Supervise facility and student recreation staff in the absence of full-time staff.
- Develop and administer a comprehensive fitness & wellness program including, but not limited to incentive programs, fitness testing, personal training, group fitness classes, and wellness education.
- Oversee daily operations of the fitness programs including registrations, fitness services fees, and attendance records.
- Assist in the marketing and promotions of all fitness and wellness activities.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, schedule, and evaluate all fitness staff (group fitness instructors and personal trainers)
- Assist with the training and supervision of undergraduate practical experience students.
- Assist with hiring, training, and supervising facility staff.
- Ensure that all group fitness instructors and personal trainers have proper certification.
- Manage and submit payroll for all fitness personnel (instructors and personal trainers).
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that ensure safe instruction.
- Keep abreast with industry trends and assess new as well as current programming.
- Provide Director with budget needs and oversee inventory control of fitness program equipment.
Carry out other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Recreation.
This is a 10–month paid internship, beginning on or before Aug. 1 and extends through May 31. Hours will vary based on the needs of the department, but not to exceed an average of 25 hours/week (with the exception of holidays and university closures) and will include nights and weekends. The intern will be compensated.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field
- Certification in group fitness or personal training from one or more of the following: ACE, AFAA, ACSM, NSCA or other NCCA accredited body
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certification or willingness to obtain certification
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Previous experience as a personal trainer, group fitness instructor, and/or fitness assessment experience.
- Work experience in a university recreation setting.
- Program planning experience.