Vision 2027 is relevant, attainable, and exciting. Bringing this vision to reality will require belief, commitment, transparency, collaboration, hard work, and the talents of all community members.
Can you imagine it? • Do you believe we can do it? • Are you willing to act?
Viterbo has served the La Crosse community and tens of thousands of students for 132 years—join us as we begin the next 132 years of our proud and storied history.
The 5 Pillars of the Vision
Mission and Identity
Through our focus on values-based education; traditions; connections to history; social teachings; social justice; and diversity, equity, and inclusion:
- Viterbo is considered the top-ranked Catholic, Franciscan institution of higher education in the Midwest.
- students and employees rave about Viterbo’s radical hospitality, inclusive -environment, appreciation, and value for the unique talents, skills, and passions of everyone.
- our campus-wide culture of service and servant leadership abounds.
- diversity is celebrated and seen as a strength—all community members are -welcomed with open arms and invited to a seat at the table.
- the university’s identity and mission are interwoven throughout all aspects of the campus, and are a source of pride and a distinctive feature of a Viterbo education.
- the community embraces its status as the only Catholic University in the Diocese of La Crosse and enjoys a healthy and productive relationship with the local Bishop.
University and Community Partnerships
Existing partnerships with community organizations and other universities are strengthened and improved.
- New, entrepreneurial, and creative agreements provide additional revenue streams and enhanced awareness of the institution and are built upon existing areas of strength for both Viterbo and its partners.
- Revised administrative processes and technology enhancements facilitate fast, nimble, and efficient decision making as new opportunities are presented.
- Partnerships and collaborators meet organizational and community needs.
- Our values, ethical decision making, and value-added reputation make Viterbo the “partner of choice.”
Pipelines, Programs, and Professional Development
In keeping with the proud history and traditions of the -Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, Viterbo has -successfully implemented bold, market-driven academic -programs that have increased enrollment at the under-graduate, master’s, and doctoral levels.
- The center for professional learning expands professional development and -certificate programs to a global level.
- Programs are offered in person, hybrid, and fully online providing maximum -flexibility and significant revenue.
- Professional development trainings and certificates are now offered in the K–12 education field.
- Additional academic areas are being analyzed and considered.
- Viterbo successfully launched exciting enrollment initiatives to attract, recruit, and retain new student populations.
- These initiatives have increased our Latinx, online, -military-aligned, and bachelor completion students.
- Enhanced ESL, advising, and military-aligned support are -institutionalized to facilitate student success and retention.
Employee Satisfaction and Engagement
Viterbo employees are highly engaged in all aspects of the university.
- A new job position classification system, updated job descriptions for all staff positions, and the university’s flexible work policy have increased morale and reduced employee turnover.
- Employee satisfaction has improved significantly as evidenced by an 80% employee engagement score on the latest annual survey.
- Employee workload is considered fair and manageable.
- Market compensation gaps are being addressed through a data-driven, systematic approach designed to achieve fair, just, and equitable wages and benefits for all employees.
- Viterbo is the higher education “employer of choice.”
- Our employees take great pride in our student-centered reputation and staunch commitment to student success.
Fundraising and Philanthropy
The university’s capital campaign, launched in 2025, is achieving phenomenal -success.
- Viterbo’s alumni and community supporters have responded enthusiastically to campaign priorities including:
- student scholarships, academic and athletic facilities, employee professional development, student leadership initiatives, and the annual fund.
- Matching university needs to donor passions and generosity has demonstrated strong commitment and confidence for the future of our beloved institution.