If your native language is not English, you are required to submit certification of proficiency in English by means of the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), the Pearson's Test of English Academic (PTE), or the Duolingo English Test (DET) prior to admission. For more information for making arrangements to take the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or DET as well as to request your scores sent to Viterbo, visit the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or Duolingo English Test (DET) websites.
Viterbo University English Proficiency Requirements
- For undergraduate students, you may demonstrate English proficiency by submitting a TOEFL (minimum 500 (Paper-Based) or 61 (Internet-Based)), IELTS (minimum 5.5), PTE (minimum 44), or Duolingo English Test (minimum 85).
- For graduate students, you may demonstrate English proficiency by submitting a TOEFL (minimum 550 (Paper-Based) or 79 (Internet-Based)), IELTS (minimum 6.5), PTE (minimum 53), or Duolingo English Test (minimum 105).
- Conditional admission may be available for those applicants that have not demonstrated English proficiency, but have submitted all other admission requirements.
- You may also demonstrate English proficiency by successful completion of Level 112 from an ELS Language Center (www.els.edu).
Viterbo's institutional code for the TOEFL is 1878.
English Proficiency Waiver Policy
The following countries will have English proficiency waived due to their language of instruction in education and the prevalence of English as a spoken language:
- Antigua & Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks & Caicos
- United Kingdom
Applicants that earn a degree from a college/university in one of the countries listed above as well as those listed below may have their English proficiency requirement waived:
- Sierra Leone
- United States