Statement of Purpose
Viterbo University in La Crosse, Wis., is offering scholarships through a competitive process to students intending to pursue careers in the health sciences. Through this competitive process, one student will be awarded a four-year, full-tuition scholarship. (The four-year, full-tuition winner will not be eligible to receive other Viterbo University scholarship awards.) Any other student selected as a finalist and participating in the competition will receive a scholarship ranging from $4,000 ($1,000 per year for up to four years) to $12,000 ($3,000 per year for up to four years) in addition to their Viterbo academic scholarship. Students should be admitted to Viterbo for fall 2024 and should have all steps completed for their scholarship application prior to Jan. 15, 2024.
Criteria for Application
- Applicant must be a new, incoming freshman student for fall 2024.
- Applicant must be interested pursuing an undergraduate program in one of the following areas:
- Pre-professional healthcare fields
- Pre-Medical Laboratory Scientist
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Pathologist Assistant
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Note: Those interested in nursing careers should apply for the Nightingale Nursing Scholarship.
- Selection of finalists (i.e. who is invited to the competition) will include a holistic review, including the following preferences:
- Cumulative high school GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Rigorous high school curriculum
- Demonstrated success in science coursework based on transcripts and one letter of reference from either a science teacher or school counselor
- Submission of a short paragraph focusing on applicant's career interests
After all the scholarship applications have been received, finalists will be selected and invited to compete in an on-campus competition on Friday, Feb. 9, 2024. This competition will then help determine the scholarships awarded to each finalist.
Overall evaluation of finalists may include, but is not limited to:
- materials previously submitted, such as high school transcripts, letters of recommendation from a science teacher or school counselor, extracurricular activities, and statement of career goals
- proctored exam and interviews on the day of the competition
The Health Science Scholarship finalists are selected via the Viterbo University Scholarship Application. Students should be admitted to Viterbo and have all steps completed for the scholarship application prior to Jan. 15, 2024. For information on other scholarships available to incoming students and to access the scholarship application, visit www.viterbo.edu/affordable.
Oct. 1, 2023: the scholarship application opens no later than Oct. 1.
Jan. 15, 2024: to be reviewed for eligibility, students should be admitted to Viterbo and have submitted the scholarship application along with any supplemental items (letters of recommendation, etc.).
Feb. 9, 2024: Live competition for invited finalists.
Coordinators for the 2024 competition include Brian Weber, Thea Kjos, and Dr. Scott Gabriel. Contact Admissions with any questions at 608-796-3010 or firstname.lastname@example.org.