What does it mean to be a first generation student?
At Viterbo, we identify you to be first generation if neither of your parents graduated with a bachelor's degree.
NOV. 8 - CELEBRATION OF FIRST GENERATION COLLEGE STUDENTS
How does being a first generation student impact you?
Each student responds differently, but some common challenges include:
- Not knowing options for financing your education.
- Having pressure to succeed; do more than what your mom and dad were able to achieve.
- Finding activities that will help you get involved beyond the classroom.
- Feeling different from family members because of higher educational experiences.
- Having trouble fitting in. NPR Blog "Fitting In on Campus: Challenges for First-Generation Students"
Are you a first-generation student but not part of Student Support Services? Visit our SSS page to learn how you can join.