Diversity and Inclusion Statement
The Psychology Department supports diversity, inclusion, equity, and social justice in the teaching, science, and practice of psychology (including age, socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, learning style, and other characteristics). We emphasize the importance of continuously evaluating biases and omissions in our personal views, curriculum, and psychology and counseling fields. We strive to provide an educational environment where everyone belongs, and training that prepares students to be sensitive advocates for persons of all backgrounds and needs.
Need to report a crime, worrisome behavior, harassment, sexual violence or assault, hate/bias discrimination, violation of the Viterbo University Code of Student Conduct, or other issue/concern? Members of the Viterbo community can go here: https://www.viterbo.edu/student-affairs/viterbo-speaks
Diversity and Inclusion Resources
Below is a non-exhaustive list of resources for ongoing education, reflection, and growth. If there is an additional resource you would like to see listed here, please contact the Psychology Department Chair.
- Viterbo’s Social Justice & Equity Resources page: https://www.viterbo.edu/social-justice-and-equity/social-justice-equity-resources
- Viterbo's anti-racism guide: https://libguides.viterbo.edu/Anti-Racism
- Diversity and Resiliency Institute of El Paso online training and education: https://www.driep.org/
- APA Multicultural Training Resources: https://www.apa.org/pi/oema/resources/multicultural-training
- APA Racism, Bias, and Discrimination Resources: https://www.apa.org/topics/racism-bias-discrimination
- APA Socioeconomic Status topic page: https://www.apa.org/topics/socioeconomic-status
- APA LGBTQ+ topic page: https://www.apa.org/topics/lgbtq
- APA Immigration topic page: https://www.apa.org/topics/immigration-refugees
- APA Inclusive Language Guidelines: https://www.apa.org/about/apa/equity-diversity-inclusion/language-guidelines
- APA Choosing Words for Talking About Disability: https://www.apa.org/pi/disability/resources/choosing-words