Thank you to the 100+ people who attend our 5th Annual Honors Program Chili Cook-Off!
Congratulations to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers: Diversity Committee/Breaking Barriers Club, Bonaventure 3 Boys, and the History Club respectively. Special thanks to all the departments, organizations and groups who donated their delicious chili; a full list of participants and a copy of the winning chili recipe can be found below.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (15 oz.) can great northern beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can navy beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans
- 1/4 tsp mexican oregano
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, medium
- 4 cups homemade ham stock
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 2 cans salsa verde
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups hummus
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp butter until onion is softened but not brown.
- Put aromatics and all remaining ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, remove the chicken breasts and shred. Return chicken to the crockpot and serve.
Thank you to the 14 groups who entered chili in this year's Honors Program Chili Cook-Off!
- Natural Sciences and Mathematics Division
- Biology Department
- Diversity Committee & Breaking Barriers Diversity Club
- Admissions (two dueling entries!)
- Bonaventure 3 Boys
- President's Office
- Honors Program (non-competitive entry)
- D.B. Reinhart Institute for Ethics in Leadership
- DNA Club
- History Club
- College of Nursing, Health, and Human Behavior
- College of Arts and Letters
Honors Program Mission
The mission of the Viterbo University Honors Program is to provide a supportive, enriched learning environment responsive to the educational needs of highly able and exceptionally motivated undergraduate students who are committed to achieving academic excellence. It also strives to develop students' potential as ethical leaders and faithful servants.
Honors Program Benefits
- Courses exclusively geared for Honors students.
- One guaranteed paid Summer Research Fellowship for Honors students in good standing.
- Lunch discussions with nationally known speakers.
- Honors designation on transcript—helpful when applying for graduate schools and finding employment.
- Affiliation with an interactive and vibrant community of scholars.
- A practical and theoretical leadership development program exclusively for Honors students.
Honors Program Goals
- To develop a community of scholars.
- To promote academic excellence within the Viterbo University community.
- To provide opportunities for research and creative work involving both faculty and students.
- To assist students in preparation for graduate and professional schools.
- To help students develop leadership skills by providing them opportunities to work with service organizations both within and outside the University.