Placement Test Information and Registration Preparation
After signing up for a STAR date, select students may be required to take placement exams for English, math, or Spanish. Viterbo placement exams for all three areas will be available online via Moodle within one week of signing up for STAR.
English and Math Placements will be required unless a student has documented with Viterbo Admissions one of the following:
- ACT English and Math official subscores
- SAT EBRW and Math official subscores
- Screenshots of ACT or SAT scores that include student name, date of the exam, and relevant scores. Although unofficial, such screenshots are allowed for placement purposes. Screenshots can be sent to email@example.com.
- College transcripts showing previously completed college credits with a C or better in English or Math
- Acceptable exam scores from select Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams.
Viterbo Math Placement exam note: Students may use a calculator on this online exam. Alternatively, an online scientific calculator is provided.
We encourage all students who have taken Spanish in high school or that are heritage speakers to take the Spanish placement exam. Such students may earn 3 to 12 retroactive credits pending the outcome of the placement exam and earning a grade of C or better in their first university Spanish course above the 101 level.
Students who have successfully completed a college Spanish course (with a grade of C or better) or have an acceptable score on an AP or IB exam prior to coming to Viterbo do not need to take the Spanish placement exam; however, official college transcript(s) or official exam scores MUST be submitted to Viterbo University.
Students who are multilingual or heritage speakers are also encouraged to take the separate Heritage Speakers Spanish exam. The exam is not graded but will help professors design the SPAN 323 (Spanish for Heritage Speakers) course content and calendar.
Preparing to Register
Students will be meeting with an advisor to plan and register for their classes. Students will be registering online using Student Planning in the VitNet system and the following documents may help.
Be prepared to log into your VitNet account using your Viterbo username and password. You can access your account information at www.viterbo.edu/username.
Already earned college credit?
Any student who has earned credit via one of the below programs is reminded that they must provide official test scores or transcripts to receive credit at Viterbo. Students should inform their Viterbo advisor of those courses at the time of registration.
- College Board/AP Exams: www.collegeboard.org
- International Baccalaureate: www.ibo.org
- Early College Credit Program (ECCP) or other Dual Credit Programs: Arrange with the university you attended to have your final official transcript sent to Viterbo University once it becomes available--the sooner, the better. (Although it is helpful to have these on file prior to STAR or similar registration appointments, we realize not all colleges will have these finalized and available in early June.)
If you are a student with professionally diagnosed special needs, please contact Ryan Russell by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 608-796-3194 with your request for the type of accommodations you may need during registration and the academic year.