The following objectives serve as a foundation guide to our master's level curriculum and assessment plan.
- Objective 1: (Social and Cultural Diversity) Students will articulate the impact of values, beliefs, and cultural perspectives relative to the counseling process.
- Objective 2: (Orientation and Ethics, Human Development, Career Development) Students will demonstrate professional ethical standards of practice and the application of contemporary theories and principles of clinical mental health counseling.
- Objective 3: (Counseling Relationship, Group Counseling) Students will be able to conceptualize individual, group, and systemic approaches in clinical mental health counseling work.
- Objective 4: (Assessment, Research) Students will evaluate and integrate theory, research, and evidence-based approaches within their counseling practice.
- Objective 5: (CMHC) Students will demonstrate accurate conceptualization and diagnosis of clients’ presenting issues.
- Objective 6: (CMHC) Students will demonstrate effective counseling relationships with their clients and effective communication skills with colleagues within the agency setting.
Methods of Instruction
Students will experience a wide variety of instructional methods within the program that includes: readings, discussions, reflection, written assignments, presentations, skill-based learning opportunities, digital video recordings, practicums and internships. Each syllabus within the program will highlight the instructional methods used for that course.
Within a collaborative interactive model, students take courses in sequence throughout the program. The program utilizes a systemic approach to knowledge and skill acquisition that involves a continuous and recursive application of the following steps:
- Setting clear goals for competency acquisition
- Establishing a climate of mutual learning
- Facilitating learning activities
- Applying knowledge
- Practicing skills
- Evaluating competency achievement
- Assessing overall learning outcomes
- Goal setting for further competency development