New Student Orientation is an exciting opportunity held Aug. 25-28, 2022.
The Orientation Leader position is essential to welcome all new students to Viterbo University each August. Our goals as an Orientation Team are:
- to create opportunities for learning about/connecting with campus,
- to explore La Crosse and our community,
- to meet other students/employees; and
- to ease the transition to their new home.
Orientation Leaders work directly with new Viterbo students in their Orientation Groups (traditional, transfer, re-entry, international) to help them accomplish these goals throughout the weekend before classes start. Orientation Leaders work collaboratively with the 30+ person team and are supported by Orientation Officers (3) and professional staff (2). When possible, we pair Orientation Leaders together to collaboratively lead an orientation group (~25+).
*Application closed: email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions*
Orientation Leader Job Description
Each Orientation Leader will be responsible for an Orientation Group of new students during V-Hawk Orientation Days. Orientation leaders serve as guides for these students by aiding them in their arrival on campus. Students selected for this crucial leadership position are expected to:
- Welcome new students and families/guests
- Serve as a positive role model for other Orientation Leaders and new students
- Help new students become familiar with campus resources, facilities, and processes
- Lead “Team Time” sessions with your Orientation Group: building relationships, showing technology/software, etc
- Help foster connections among new students and to the Viterbo community
- Facilitate small and large group activities as needed, assisting with Orientation-wide programming and events
- Provide ideas, leadership, and enthusiasm for V-Hawk Orientation Days
- Guide students as they navigate difficult transitions: decision-making, homesickness, unknowns, etc
- Participate in critical evaluations and provide feedback for future Orientation improvements
Students selected as orientation leaders are expected to:
- Attend the Orientation Leader Welcome: Sunday, May 1st, 5p-6:30p, Nursing Center 195
- Return to La Crosse no later than Tuesday, Aug. 23
- If you will be living on campus in fall 2022, you will be able to move into your residence hall on the afternoon of Monday, Aug. 22 between 1p-3p
- Attend mandatory training on*:
- Tuesday, Aug. 23 at 1p– 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 24 at 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Participate in and help with all orientation activities starting Thursday, Aug. 25 through Saturday, Aug. 27, 2022. ~ 8a-10p
- Sunday, Aug 28, 2022: We’ll need Orientation Leaders (~10) to help lead some fun events (hike, coffee walk, etc) but there are no required commitments for all 30+ O Leaders.
- Attend and invite your group of new students to attend the Welcome Back Bash: Thu 9/1, 1p-4p*
*tentative – will confirm specific times as we get closer
Orientation Leaders must stay active with email communication, especially in the months of July and August. There will be items requested to complete over the summer to prepare for Orientation and to help build relationships with students through summer newsletters before their arrival. Students who are Orientation Leaders make a commitment to orientation-related activities at the beginning of the fall semester. Orientation Leaders may also be able to assist with New Student Orientation in January, if interested. Being able to uphold the time commitment is a requirement to be an Orientation Leader, no exceptions. Please make sure, before you interview, that this will not conflict with any of your other extracurricular activities, including employment and vacation.
Tentative Summer Timeline
- Check emails by Aug 1 - Access Microsoft Teams! And many other updates
- Dirt Sheets/Draft Emails – by Aug 12: O Officer Support assignments
- Welcome Emails – by Aug 22 (example/resources in Sharepoint)
- Partner/mentor/support assignments (NOT O Group assignments)
Qualifications and Skills
- Must have earned at least 12 credits at Viterbo University
- Must be a full-time undergraduate student in good standing through the fall semester
- Ability to initiate and guide conversations in 1-on-1, small group, and large group settings
- Ability to problem solve and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Knowledge of Viterbo campus and resources
- Ability to connect and empathize with new students navigating their transition to Viterbo
- Build experiences and develop leadership skills such as serving as a role model, group facilitation, and working as a team member
- Meet new people, foster relationships, guide new students with Viterbo values
- Earn at least 30 hours of community service
- Free food and activities during all of your contracted time commitment
- Move in early, if living on-campus
- Receive two free Orientation t-shirts
Email Colin at email@example.com or any of our Orientation Officers for support.
2022 Orientation Officers:
Trevor Rowray = firstname.lastname@example.org
Kaitlin Schiferl = email@example.com
Olivia Abernathy = firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall 2022 Schedules will be posted by August 5, 2022. Below is a draft schedule from last year as an example: