Community Interpreting Certificate
The Community Interpreter Certificate at Viterbo University trains bilingual professionals to become qualified interpreters. Our goal is to provide Limited English Proficient individuals language access for effective communication with the providers of private and public organizations, thereby facilitating full and equal access to legal, health, educational, government, commercial and social services.
- To serve the interpreting needs of regional and local institutions in health care settings, county services, law enforcement, the court system, and private industry, and;
- To train professionals in four key areas: cultural competency, ethics, interpreting techniques, and best interpreting practices.
- Raise public awareness about the profession of interpreting
- Establish working relationships with community partners for the purpose of ensuring practicum sites and facilitating employment of graduates
- Create a central database to pair up interpreters with regional employers
- Create online and hybrid courses
- Impose standardization within the discipline of interpreting and achieve recognition of the profession through education, legislation and public relations