Direct Admission will be granted to freshmen nursing students (directly from high school) who meet the following criteria:
- Composite ACT score of at least 22
- Math ACT score of at least 20
- Reading ACT score of at least 20
- Science ACT score of at least 20
- Applicants who have English as a Second Language are required to take the TOEFL and achieve a minimum score of 79, unless satisfactory SAT/ACT scores are available
- High school rank in the 55th percentile or higher
- *Applicants with no high school rank must have a high school GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completion of one year of high school chemistry, or equivalency, with grades of C or better
- Completion of two years of high school algebra, or equivalency, with grades of C or better
Priority deadline: February 1. Direct admission may not be guaranteed for qualified applicants after that date.
Note: Freshman admitted as a “traditional admission” student may be considered for direct admission if GPA or test scores change – and are submitted prior to February 1.
To progress directly into the professional sequence of the program (year 2 of the program), students will need to:
- Maintain full-time enrollment at Viterbo University
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 in the first year
- Affirm their interest in entering the professional sequence and preferred semester start (fall or spring) by April 15 of their freshman year, by completing the Professional Nursing Sequence application.
- Achieve grades of BC or higher in all nursing pre-requisite courses:
- ENGL 103 or ENGL 105 or ENGL 195
- PSYC 171
- BIOL 104 and BIOL 114
- CHEM 120 and CHEM 121 OR CHEM 106
- SOCL 125
If students do not meet the above criteria for direct admission by the end of spring semester their freshman year, but meet the basic requirements for consideration for the nursing sequence, they will be considered for admission as a “traditional admission" student.
Please note: All direct admission students who meet the above requirements will be guaranteed admission into the professional sequence of the program in either the fall or spring of their sophomore year. If more students wish to start the professional phase in the fall than space allows, overall GPA and prerequisite nursing courses GPA will be used to determine the priority.
Prior to starting the professional phase of the program in the second year of enrollment, students will be required to provide evidence of the following prior to the first nursing course:
- Current CPR for Professionals card from either of the following:
- American Heart Association – BLS for Healthcare Provider
- Red Cross – CPR for the Professional Rescuer/Healthcare Provider
- Documentation of current CNA certification (Any state accepted)
- Nursing Student Physical Form
- Criminal background check
- Nursing Math Test – Academic Resource Center
Note: Specific requirements may change based on regulatory, licensing and or certification needs.
To request further information about the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program at Viterbo University, contact the Viterbo University Office of Admission, or call 608-796-3010 or 1-800-VITERBO.