Viterbo University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Viterbo University is accredited for academic programs in specialized fields by the following organizations, which are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA):
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
Viterbo University is approved by state agencies in Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin to deliver the following educational programs:
- The nursing program is approved by the Wisconsin State Board of Nursing for the licensure of registered nurses.
- The Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling program is recognized by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Board of Marriage and Family Therapists, Professional Counselors, and Social Work as an accredited program that prepares students to apply for Licensed Professional Counselor credential in the state of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa, upon completion of 3000 hours post-degree practice with specific supervision. Note: Minnesota and Iowa have their own credentialling boards.
- The social work program is recognized by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Board of Marriage and Family Therapists, Professional Counselors, and Social Work as an accredited program that prepares students to apply for Certified Social Worker credential in the state of Wisconsin. The accreditation is also recognized by American Social Work Boards for credentialing in the United States.
- The substance abuse counseling program is approved by the State of Wisconsin’s Department of Safety and Professional Services as a pre-certification education program for Substance Abuse Counselor certification in the state of Wisconsin.
- Viterbo University is recognized by the Wisconsin State Department of Public Instruction for the certification of teachers in the elementary and secondary schools and for the training of veterans.
- Viterbo University is registered with the Iowa College Student Aid Commission to offer programs via face-to-face and distance education delivery to Iowa residents. Iowa students with questions about the university may contact the commission by phone at 877-272-4456 or file a complaint at www.iowacollegeaid.gov/StudentComplaintWebform.
- Viterbo University is recognized and approved by the Iowa State Board of Education for the K-12 Principal licensure/Supervisor of Special Education (189).
- Viterbo University is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to Minnesota Statues, sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.
Viterbo University is an institutional member of the following higher education associations:
- American Association for Employment in Education (AAEE)
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Offices (AACRAO)
- American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities (ACCU)
- Association of Franciscan Colleges and Universities (AFCU)
- Association of Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges and Universities (ASACCU)
- College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR)
- College Board
- Cooperative Education & Internship Association (CEIA)
- Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)
- Council of Independent Colleges (CIC)
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU)
- National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC)
- National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE)
- National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals (NAGAP)
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU)
- National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA)
- National Career Development Association (NCDA)
- National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
- Network for Vocation in Undergraduate Education (NetVUE)
- NIRSA: Leaders in Collegiate Recreation
- The Society for College and University Planning (SCUP)
- Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (WAICU)
This page is maintained by the Division of Institutional and Instructional Effectiveness.
Last updated on 9/14/2022.