Viterbo University Web Style Guide
The Viterbo University Web Style Guide has been developed to help ensure that Viterbo University’s website is effectively utilized in the recruitment and retention of students, that continuity and cohesiveness exists across the entire website, and that the site promotes a positive image of the university.
This page contains some points from the more comprehensive Viterbo University Web Style Guide.
- Your introductory/home page should provide contact information, including address, phone, fax, and email (with link). Alternatively, a clear link to this contact information may be used.
- Make content block names clear and understandable.
- Multiple tables on a page should be 95% wide, 1 pixel border, 3 pixel padding, so that they all line up and are consistent across the page.
- Don’t capitalize indiscriminately.
- One space after a period in the content.
- Use numerals for times except for noon and midnight. Always put a space between the numeral(s) and the a.m./p.m. (always lower case with periods and no space) 8 a.m., 9:30 p.m., etc.
- Use a period when abbreviating degrees: B.A., M.A., M.F.A., Ph.D. However, while M.B.A. is correct with or without periods, Viterbo’s style is to use it without periods.
- email (no hyphen, capitalize at the beginning of a sentence only)
- Internet (always capitalize)
- log in, log out (verb)
- log-in (noun, adjective)
- online (one word, no hyphen)
- the Web (capital W)
- website (one word, no capital W)
- World Wide Web (capital Ws)