A Newsletter for the Viterbo College Community
Vol. 13 No. 14 November 8, 1999
Sr. Helen Prejean to Discuss Capital Punishment, Prison Ministry
Nearly 900 students, faculty, staff, and members of the La Crosse community are expected to attend Sr. Helen Prejean’s presentation this Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center Main Theatre. If you have tickets which will go unused, please return them to the Murphy Center reception desk to ensure that we are able to provide everyone with the opportunity to attend.
Earl Madary (Religious Studies/Campus Ministry) is organizing ushers for the event to collect much-needed food items for Place of Grace and area food shelves. Earl indicates that most food inventories are quite low and your generosity will be appreciated.
Tim Posey from the Viterbo bookstore will have Prejean’s book Dead Man Walking for sale at the presentation. Cost is $13 and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to support Place of Grace. Prejean will autograph the books in the FAC Atrium immediately following her evening presentation.
Earlier in the day (2:10 p.m.), Prejean will meet with about 20 Viterbo faculty and staff who signed up for a discussion about the border issues associated with her ministry.
Prejean’s visit to Viterbo is part of a lecture series sponsored by the D.B. Reinhart Institute for Ethics in Leadership.
Viterbo to Create Wellness Program
Thanks to a grant from The Humana Foundation, Inc., Viterbo is in the process of creating a Wellness Program on campus. The mission of the program is to enhance education by promoting the optimal wellness of the campus and surrounding communities.
To determine the need for the project, a needs assessment survey was conducted throughout the campus in 1995 It revealed a great interest in the idea of a program and suggested that focusing on the development of a Wellness Program would not only benefit the College, but would also help those in surrounding communitiesespecially those organizations that have expressed an interest in partnering with the College.
Funding from The Humana Foundation, Inc. includes: a Wellness Program Coordinator and Advisory Board, a Wellness web page, a resource center where individuals can obtain wellness information, a Wellness Week in spring, and an intergenerational wellness promotion project.
From: Tim Posey
To: Faculty and Staff
Re: Graduation Regalia
To rent regalia for the December graduation, please contact the bookstore no later than Friday, Nov. 19. Thank you.
• Alumni Cup, Viterbo basketball teams host UW-L, Monday, Nov. 29, La Crosse Center. Women’s game: 6 p.m.; men’s game: 8 p.m. Tickets, which are good for both games, are $5 for adults, $3 for students. Watch Connections for more information.
• Employee Christmas Party, Dec. 10, Baus Haus.
• Graduation, Dec. 18, 10:30 a.m., FAC.
• Baccalaureate, Dec. 18, 9 a.m., Maria Angelorum Chapel.
Celebrate 2000 with the Packers
Win a Packer’s Sky Box for 14! Cheer in the millennium at the Packer game on Jan. 2, 2000 and enjoy: round trip, private coach transportation from any point in Wisconsin; Sky Box #265 on the preferred lower level near the 35-yard line; food and beverage ($500 value); and Packer memorabilia. Fifty dollars for each chance to win or three chances for $100. Drawing will be held Dec. 8. Proceeds benefit the La Crosse Boy Choir. See Fr. Tom O’Neill by Nov. 30 for tickets.
Arts and Entertainment
• Dancing at Lughnasa, presented by the Viterbo Theatre Arts Department, Thursday-Monday, Nov. 11-15, 7:30 p.m., La Croix Black Box Theatre, FAC. Call the Box Office, ext. 3100, for tickets.
• Ballet Masterclass, featuring Joan Karlen, Saturday, Nov. 13, 10-11 a.m., FAC Dance Studio. Admission: $3. Call ext. 3737 for reservations or pay at the door.
• The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tuesday, Nov. 16, 7:30 p.m., FAC Main Theatre. Call the Box Office, ext. 3100, for ticket information.
• Faculty Recital by Timothy Schorr, piano, Saturday, Nov. 20, 7:30 p.m., FAC Recital Hall. The free program features works by Beethoven, Debussy, and Schumann. Call ext. 3769 for more information.
• Amahl and the Night Visitors, an operetta by Gian Carlo Menotti, Saturday, Dec. 4 and Sunday, Dec. 5., FAC Main Theatre. Call the Box Office, ext. 3100, for tickets.
Thanksgiving Thank You
A check for $65 dollars was sent to the Festival of Sharing representing a Viterbo contribution to the La Crosse Community Thanksgiving Dinner. The donation is from faculty and staff who made a contribution as part of our Casual Dress Day.
Return to Viterbo Home Page