Faculty Member Since: 2013
Areas of Expertise
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Qualitative & Quantitative Research
- Substance Abuse Treatment & Recovery
Certificates and Licenses
- Nationally Certified Instructor for Youth Mental Health First Aid
Dr. Thorson-Olesen maintains an active research agenda across a variety of topics relevant to counseling such as marital satisfaction, caring for aging populations and caregivers, sport psychology, and substance abuse treatment and recovery.
- Thorson-Olesen, S. J., Meinertz, N., & Eckert, S. (2018). Caring for aging populations: Examining compassion fatigue and satisfaction. Journal of Adult Development. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10804-018-9315-z
- Thorson-Olesen, S. J., & Eckert, S. (2016). Counseling considerations for the caregivers of aging adults. The Wisconsin Counseling Journal, 29, 61-66.
- Thorson-Olesen, S. J., & Murray, D. (2019, October). The substance abuse epidemic: Understanding sobriety strategies for success. Poster at the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Thorson-Olesen, S. J., & Murray, D. (2019, March). Advocating for access: Pre-engagement Groups as an alternative to waitlists. Poster presentation at the American Counseling Association Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Thorson-Olesen, S. J., Murray, D., & Baker, M. (2019, March). Domestic immersion: Building the cultural competence of counselors-in-training. Poster presentation at the American Counseling Association Conference, New Orleans, LA.