Active Shooter, Firearms, or Weapons
Active threat exists when an individual is actively engaged in harming or killing people, or attempting to harm or kill people, in a confined and populated area.
- Call 911 immediately if you are aware of any firearm or other weapon on campus.
- Call Campus Safety at 3911 if using a Viterbo phone; 608-796-3911 or 608-780-1582 if using a non-Viterbo phone.
- If you see, hear, or are notified of an active threat/shooter on campus:
- Get out of the building if you are able to. If you see the active threat/shooter, run in the opposite direction.
- Provide assistance to those with disabilities/special needs. If that is not possible, provide their location to emergency personnel.
- Call 911. Give the location of the incident, the type of weapon being used, and a physical description of the active threat/shooter.
- Prevent others from entering the building.
- If you can’t get out of the building, get behind a closed and locked door. Barricade the door.
- Close window blinds/curtains. Turn off lights, radio, computers, etc. Silence phones an d electronic devices.
- Hide in a closet, under a desk, behind furniture, etc.
- Do this as a last resort, only if you have no other option.
- Act as aggressively as possible. Yell, throw things, use improvised weapons, and attempt to disarm the ative threat/shooter by any means available.