If you have reason to believe that there is a possibility of a friend or student trying to take their life call 911 and Campus Safety at extension 3911 (on-campus) or 608-780-1582 (off-campus) IMMEDIATELY!
Safety for all students is a priority here at Viterbo University. All faculty, staff, administration, residence assistance, and peer advisors are encouraged to contact the Director of Counseling Services at ext. 3808, Campus Safety at 608-780-1582, Director of Residence Life at ext. 3842 and/or the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students at ext. 3840 if information about suicidal threats or concerns are brought to your attention. Viterbo University has a policy and procedure in place for suicide attempts.
Procedure Following a Suicide Attempt
At Viterbo University we work on making every effort to accommodate a student who has been recently hospitalized. Below you will find the policy for returning to campus following a hospitalization due to suicide attempt and/or emotional distress. You will also need the Return to Campus Form completed by the hospital where hospitalization occurred or current provider working with the returning student. If there are questions or concerns please feel free to contact the Director of Counseling Services at (608) 796-3808 or the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students at (608) 796-3840.
Procedure following Hospitalization
After Hours Resources
- Campus Safety and Security: ext. 3911 (on campus) or 608-780-1582 (off campus)
- Lifeline: Text "Listen" to 741741 or
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Life threatening emergency: 911
- Great Rivers 24-hour helpline: 211 (land line or campus phone) or 800-362-8255 (cell or land line). This is a free, confidential help-line for community information, referrals, and crises services 24 hours a day
- Mobile Crisis: 608-784-4357
- Gundersen Healthcare System: 608-782-7300 or 800-362-9567
- Mayo Healthcare System: 608-785-0940 or 800-362-5454