Frequently Asked Questions

I have earned my associate degree, what additional coursework is required? 

Students will add to their counseling skills and meet the state requirements by completing courses in Critical Inquiry and Substance Abuse Issues, Praxis Synthesis (practice and application), Co-occurring Disorders, Motivating Interviewing, Evidence-based Treatment, Pharmacology, and 6 credits of psychology electives.

Students must have the ability to attend a week long (10 day) Summer Institute on the Viterbo University Campus in La Crosse, Wis.

Additionally, students will complete the Viterbo University General Education Requirements.

What if I have not earned an associate degree in AODA counseling? 

You can enter our classroom based Addiction Studies program.

Will classroom hours transfer to license requirements? 

Yes, students without SAC-IT course requirements will earn the educational hours toward  SAC-IT (Substance Abuse Counselor – In Training) and SAC (Substance Abuse Counselor).

What career areas can I consider once I complete the Addiction Studies Online (degree completion program)?  

  • Substance Abuse Counselor
  • Human Services
  • Corrections
  • Health Care
  • Case Manager
  • House Manager Residential Services

Students will be prepared for graduate school in Psychology, Addictions and Mental Health Counseling. 


How will my credits transfer? 

Students will be able to transfer all of their completed associate degree credits  from any of the following programs:

  • Chippewa Valley Technical College
  • Fox Valley Technical College
  • Gateway Technical College
  • Madison Area Technical College now Madison College
  • Menomonie Nation
  • Moraine Park Technical College
  • Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
  • Waukesha Technical College

 Students must have earned a grade of "C" or higher to transfer.

We have a generous transfer credit policy. Contact an advisor for a free evaluation of your transfer credits or email 

What are the Addiction Studies Online (degree completion) admission requirements? 

Students must have earned an associate degree from one of the Wisconsin Technical College's listed above in human services or AODA counseling.

How long will it take to finish my bachelor’s degree? 

Depending if you attend full time or part time study will determine the length of time you are enrolled.  Students attending fulltime should complete all requirements in two school years.  Students attending part time will generally be done in three years. 

Is financial aid available? 

Yes, students are encouraged to apply for federal and state financial aid. Visit our How will I pay for College Web page or the Financial Aid Office website .


How do I get started?  

Submit an application for admission and official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, and your official high school transcript.

Call the Center for Adult Learning with any questions or concerns and one of our admissions counselors will assist you, 1-888-VITERBO or 608-796-3370 or email