Voter Registration for Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin
Viterbo University encourages all students to register to vote and to actively participate in the political process by voting in all local, state and federal elections. To assist you in registering to vote, the university provides this information which applies only to Viterbo University students who are citizens of the United States.
To assist you with voter registration, we have created a link with the Federal Election Commission’s National Voter Registration information – www.eac.gov. If you would like to register to vote, click on Register to Vote. Then, click on the National Voter Registration Form. Review the appropriate State’s instructions and eligibility requirements. Complete the form according to instructions and mail it to the address provided. (Please note that some states do not currently accept printout copies of the voter registration forms. In these states, please contact the State Election Official at the address listed at the bottom of the state instructions page.)
Most Viterbo students reside in Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa. Links to voter information and registration deadlines in these three states are provided below.
What location do I vote at - home or school?
- It is your choice, but you must declare your residency for voting in only one location.
- If you are registered at your home address in another city or state, you may choose to request a ballot from that municipal clerk. Allow at least two weeks for processing and mailing.
- Or, you may register and vote using your City of La Crosse residence address while you are enrolled at the University.
Wisconsin Registration Requirements
- You must be a U. S. Citizen.
- You must be at least 18 years old on Election Day.
- You must have resided in your election district at least 28 days.
- You are not currently serving a sentence including probation or parole for a felony conviction.
- You are not otherwise disqualified from voting.
How do I register to vote or change my address?
- By Mail: The Application for Voter Registration (EB-131) is available on-line under the City Clerk’s Elections and Voting page at www.cityoflacrosse.org. Follow the instructions carefully when completing the form. If you are a new Wisconsin voter and submitting your application by mail, you must provide a copy of one of the forms of identification specified on the instructions. Print the form, sign it and mail it to the municipal clerk at least 20 days before the election.
- In Person: In the City Clerk's Office during normal work hours, but no later than the Friday before an election.
Note: Proof of residence is required if registering in the City Clerk’s office within 20 days of an election, or on Election Day.
How do I obtain an absentee ballot?
- The Application for Absentee Ballot (EB-121) is available on-line under the City Clerk’s Elections and Voting page at www.cityoflacrosse.org. Or, you may send a signed letter, indicating your residence address, the address the ballot should be mailed, and a contact number.
- Mail the application or letter to the municipal clerk serving the municipality where you are registered to vote. The last day a municipal clerk may honor written requests for an absentee ballot is five days before an election.
- In the office of the City Clerk during normal work hours.
Where do I vote?
- Viterbo University students who live on campus vote at the St. Francis Professional Arts Building.
- If you live off-campus, view a list of polling places and city map to determine your voting location. Go to the City Clerk’s Elections and Voting page at www.cityoflacrosse.org.
- Go to https://vpa.wi.gov
Election day voting hours - The polls are open from 7 a.m.–8 p.m.
If you have any questions, please call the City Clerk’s office at 789-7510
Photo ID Law - www.gab.wi.gov
Wisconsin voter information is available at http://elections.state.wi.us/. Wisconsin voter registration deadlines are provided here: For municipalities where voter registration is required, 13 days before the election (or completed in the local voter registration office up to 5 p.m. one day before the election, or completed at the polling place on Election Day).
Students registering to vote in Wisconsin may also choose to download the voter registration application available at http://elections.state.wi.us/. Send through the mail to City Clerk, 400 La Crosse Street, La Crosse, WI 54601, or drop off at the City Clerk’s office. Make sure you provide evidence of residence indicated in the instructions.
While it is recommended that you register in advance, you may do so the day of the elections at the polls. If you live on campus, the Viterbo campus is located in District 11 and the polling station is located in the St. Francis Professional Arts Bldg, 615 South Tenth Street.
Minnesota voter information is available at http://www.sos.state.mn.us/. Minnesota voter registration deadlines are provided here: Delivered by 5 p.m., 21 days before the election. (There is also Election Day registration at polling places).
Iowa voter information is available at www.sos.state.ia.us/elections– Iowa voter registration deadlines are provided here: Must be delivered by 5 p.m. 10 days before the election, if it is a state primary or general election; 11 days before all others. Registration forms which are postmarked 15 or more days before an election are considered on time even if received after the deadline.