Program Requirements For Initial Teacher Licensure
The Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure Program has the same licensure requirements as Viterbo University's undergraduate program. During the course of the program the following requirements will be met:
1. Prior to starting the one year education sequence, a major in the content area is required and any content "gaps" will be identified and will need to be taken. All courses must be completed in the past seven years and up to six credits may be waived from the education sequence. Viterbo University requires a minimum grade of C on all classes with a minimum g.p.a. of 2.75 to be admitted to the program. Later in the program, Admission to Teacher Education and Student Teaching will require a 3.0 gpa minimum. Once a student is within three classes of their content "gap" list they may start the next May cohort.
2. Students must pass the PPST and their content area Praxis II test.
3. 50 hours of field work is required.
3. Three portfolio submissions are required.
4. Required Summer Courses:
EDUP 515 Educational Psychology (2 cr)
EDUP 550 Introduction to Education (2 cr)
EDUP 590 Middle School/High School Theory (2 cr)
EDUP 530 Content Literacy (2 cr)
5. Required Fall Courses:
Methods class in content area (2 cr for most/extra for PK-12 licenses)
EDUP 520 Racial and Ethnic Issues (1 cr)
EDUP 516 Technology Enhanced Instruction (2 cr)
EDUP 506 Inclusion of Students with Special Needs (2 cr)
6. Required Spring Courses:
EDUP 582 Student Teaching Seminar (2 cr)
EDUP 559 or EDUP 563 Student Teaching (8 cr - initial license or 4 cr - 2nd license)
6. Upon completion of the program the student is required to fill out an Application for Certificate. Please fill out the form and send it to the program Coordinator. This form is needed for transcripts to reflect a new license.