School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics Research
Faculty and Student Research:
- Antigen specificity in symbiotic microbe-immune interactions. Tori Voight and Dr. Chris Mayne. Presented at Seven Rivers Undergraduate Research Symposium, November 11, 2016. La Crosse, WI.
- The effects of stress on Tau build-up in Long Evans rats. Brooke Johnston and Dr. Charles Lawrence. Presented at Seven Rivers Undergraduate Research Symposium, November 11, 2016. La Crosse, WI.
- Winner/Loser effect in the Madagascar hissing cockroach. Cassandra Baranczyk, Dr. Michael S. Alfieri, and Dr. Jennifer A. Sadowski. Presented at Seven Rivers Undergraduate Research Symposiu, November 11, 2016. La Crosse, WI.
- Luminol detection of blood spatter after exposure to fire. Emma Akemann and Dr. Ward Jones. Presented at Seven Rivers Undergraduate Research Symposiu, November 11, 2016. La Crosse, WI.
- Characterization of Mn (II) homeostasis within Bacillus subtillis. Matt Baertlein, Cullen Vos, Will Jeffries, Erin Isaacson, Kaila Schoenberger, and Dr. Scott Gabriel. Presented at American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Annual Meeting, April 2-6, 2016. San Diego, CA.
- Quantification of genetically-driven microbial shifts in a mouse model of inflammatory bowel disease. Chris Suilmann and Dr. Chris Mayne. Presented at American Society for Microbiology North Central Region Conference, 2015. La Crosse, WI.
- The leaching rate of Florfenicol from medicated fish feed at 19 degrees celsius. Riley Tuma and Dr. Kyle Backstrand. Presented at Seven Rivers Undergraduate Research Symposium, November 6, 2015. La Crosse, WI.
- Search for properties that lead to bioavailability in aquatic species. Dr. Tammy Clark, Terrance Hubert, Joel Putnum, Paul Yanzer, and Ryan Lepak. Presented at Upper Midwest Invasive Species Conference, October 22, 2014. Duluth, MN.
- Development of a cellular assay to determine cytotoxicity in fish cells. Justine Nelson, Eric Leis, and Dr. Tammy Clark. Presented at Upper Midwest Invasive Species Conference, October 22, 2014. Duluth, MN.
Faculty and Student Publications:
- Faculty member Chris Mayne (with J.A. Spanier, C.E. Hayes, and F.E. Nashold) published "Vitamin D and estrogen synergy in Vdr-expressing CD4+ T cells is essential to induce Helios+FoxP3+T cells and prevent autoimmune demyelinating disease" in J Neuorimmunology in 2015; 286: 48--58.
- Faculty member Scott Gabriel (with Z. Ma and J.D. Helmann) published "Sequential binding and sensing of Zn(II) by Bacillus subtilis Zur" in Nucleic Acids Res. in 2011
- Faculty member David Bauer (with A. L. Kerr and R. A. Swain) published "Cerebellar dentate nuclei lesions reduce motivation in appetitive operant conditioning and open field exploration" in Neurobiology of Learning and Memory in 2011
- Faculty member Sheldon Lee(with Donald Estep) published "An Adaptive Method for Parameter Optimization of an Elliptic Problem " in Applicable Analysis in 2011
- Faculty member Michael Collins published "Simple and Automated Coulometric Titration of Acid Using Nonisolated Electrodes" in the Journal of Chemical Education in 2011
- Faculty member Michael Alfieri (with Lee Dugatkin) published "Cooperation and Cognition in Fishes" in Fish Cognition and Behavior in 2011.
In the past, Viterbo students have performed research at:
- Standford University
- University of Washington
- Texas A&M
- University of Minnesota
- Yale University
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Mayo Clinic
- Los Alamos National Laboratory