Help to stay safe by following these tips.
- Dial 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Call Campus Security at 3911 or 608-796-3911 to be
accompanied by a Safe Walk volunteer as you walk on campus and in the
- Do not to walk or jog alone especially after dark. Take a friend or neighbor along for company.
- Choose busy streets and avoid going through vacant lots,
alleys, or other deserted areas. At night, walk in well-lit areas
- Carry purses and bags close to your body and keep a firm grip on them.
- Avoid pickpockets by carrying your wallet in an inside coat pocket or front trouser pocket.
- Stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings, wherever you are.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave right away and get help if necessary.
- Be aware and be prepared. Don’t be taken by surprise.
- Stand tall and walk confidently. Don’t exhibit fear or look like a victim.
- Get to know the neighborhoods and neighbors where you live, go to school and work.
- To be prepared for adverse situations, add these phone numbers to
the contact list on your cell phone: Campus Security 608-796-3911 and
If you are interested in assisting as a Safe Walk volunteer, please
contact Campus Safety or leave a voicemail message at 608-796-3912.