First-Year Experience Information
The transition from high school to college can be a challenge for many first-year students. As a result, the Viterbo University Office of Residence Life has developed a First-Year Experience (FYE) program designed to assist students in adjusting to college life and handling the rigorous academic demands of the classroom.
Going into its fourth year, the FYE program is designed to provide first-year students with specific resources, support, and programming to help facilitate a successful transition and acclimation to Viterbo University. This collaborative effort between residence life and student support units offers unique opportunities for students to explore, learn more, and become better connected to the university.
The VU ResLife FYE will be limited to 40 freshmen, selected from those who submit applications by June 1, 2015.
Components of the Program
- Fall semester weekly meetings focusing on topics and issues pertinent to the time of semester and the needs of the first-year student
- Group living on two floors in the same residence hall
- Spring semester monthly meetings
Participants will select one of two weekly meeting times for the fall semester: every Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. or every Wednesday from 3-4 p.m. Spring semester monthly meetings will be first Tuesday and Wednesday school is in session of each month.
Does participation in the program count toward academic credit?
No, this program does not carry academic credits. However, the skills and knowledge gained will assist students when they transition to the university and provide a strong foundation for academic success.
What are the benefits of participating?
- Development of meaningful connections with faculty and staff
- Structured out-of-class experiences
- Identification of a strong support network
- Knowledge of campus resources
- Reinforcement of academic pursuits
- A common learning experience that emphasizes connecting with peers and staff
- A first year of college that will be exciting, fun, and rewarding
Some past sessions include:
- Overview of faculty expectations
- Time management
- Tour of the Academic Resource Center
- Tour of the library
- Getting along with your roommates
- Tour of Career Services
- Co-ops and internships
- Financial Aid
If you are interested, fill out the online application at Application for VU ResHall FYE.