Special Event Intern
The Department of Recreational Sports offers a Special Event internship. The purpose of the intern position is to work with the Assistant Director and appropriate committees to develop, promote and assist in the overall operation of the Rec Sports Special Event Program. This internship meets the requirements for the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse ESS 320 Field Experience Course.
- Work with the Assistant Director and various committees to plan, organize, coordinate, promote, and facilitate Special Event programs including solicitation, promotions, scheduling, registration, supervision of activity, completion of paperwork, and event reports and evaluations.
- Fall intern will serveon the DodgeFest Committee to plan, organize, coordinate, promote, and complete the 5th Annual DodgeFest Dodgeball Tournament.
- Develop and possess thorough knowledge of all the Special Event program information, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
- Serve as a resource to staff, Mathy Center patrons, and Special Event participants regarding questions, concerns, rules, and conflict resolution.
- Communicate and consistently enforce university, departmental, and intramural policies and procedures with all participants and co-workers; employ strong decision making and conflict resolution skills when policies and/or procedures are violated.
- Maintain a positive, cooperative, and customer service oriented attitude that enhances a fun work environment; wear staff apparel, nametag, and maintain clean, professional atmosphere.
- Attend all committee meetings and bi-weekly meetings with the Assistant Director.
- Develop good rapport and strong communication between staff, team captains and players.
- Oversee the Special Event contests and ensure participation takes place in a safe and controlled manner and diffuse potential problems involving spectators and/or participants, never leave any event unsupervised.
- Ensure equipment is properly set up, taken down, and locked away.
- Maintain proper inventory of all equipment.
- Communicate with Assistant Director the status of events; report any problems (i.e. ejections, sportsmanship issues, forfeits, etc.).
- Aid participants with injuries by providing First Aid and CPR, and report all injuries or problems to the Director or Assistant Director.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Certification in First Aid/CPR.
- Ability to supervise others.
- Possess good leadership skills, written and oral communication skills, and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to work well independently and with others.
- Basic computer knowledge (Microsoft Office programs).
- Ability to work afternoons, evenings, and weekends.
- Prior work experience in a Recreational Sports Program preferred.
- Sincere interest in upholding the standards of the Rec Sports Department and Intramural Program.
- A commitment of 10-15 hours per week
- Must be flexible afternoons, nights, weekends
Interested individuals should send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org