Intramural Internship Employment
The purpose of the intern position is to work with the Assistant Director to promote and assist in the overall operation of the Intramural Sports Program. This internship meets the requirements for the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse ESS 320 Field Experience Course.
- Work with the Assistant Director to plan and administer intramural leagues including scheduling, verification of eligibility and player status, supervision of play, completion of daily paperwork and league reports and evaluations.
- Assist in program registration including pre-season Intramural Registration Help Stations and Final Forfeit Deposit Collections.
- Develop and possess thorough knowledge of all the Intramural Sports rules and regulations as well as policies and procedures.
- Serve as a resource to Intramural staff, Mathy Center patrons, and Intramural participants regarding questions, concerns, rules, and conflict resolution.
- Communicate and consistently enforce university, departmental, and intramural policies and procedures with all participants and co-workers; employ strong decision making and conflict resolution skills when policies and/or procedures are violated.
- Maintain a positive, cooperative, and customer service oriented attitude that enhances a fun work environment; wear staff apparel, nametag, and maintain clean, professional atmosphere.
- Attend quarterly intramural staff meetings and bi-weekly meetings with the Assistant Director.
- Develop good rapport and strong communication between intramural staff, team captains and players.
- Oversee the intramural contest and ensure participation takes place in a safe and controlled manner and diffuse potential problems involving spectators and/or participants, never leave any intramural event unsupervised.
- Ensure equipment is properly set up, taken down, and locked away.
- Maintain proper inventory of all intramural equipment and t-shirts.
- Communicate with Assistant Director the status of leagues; report any problems (i.e. ejections, sportsmanship issues, forfeits, etc.).
- Aid participants with injuries by providing First Aid and CPR, and report all injuries or problems to the Director or Assistant Director.
- Ensure that accurate program information, registration, records, and processes are updated at the Bulletin Board/Welcome Center as needed.
- Correlate with Western Technical College Intramural Coordinator as necessary.
- Evaluate Intramural Site Supervisors at least once per semester.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Certification in First Aid/CPR.
- Ability to supervise others.
- Possess good leadership skills, written and oral communication skills, and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to work well independently and with others.
- Basic computer knowledge (Microsoft Office programs).
- Ability to work afternoons, evenings, and weekends.
- Prior work experience in a Recreational Sports Program preferred.
- Sincere interest in upholding the standards of the Rec Sports Department and Intramural Program.
- A commitment of 10-15 hours per week
- Must be flexible afternoons, nights, weekends
Interested individuals send resume to email@example.com