Frequently Asked Questions
- How many intramural seasons are there?
- How long are the intramural seasons?
- How do I register?
- How do I create an IMLeagues account?
- How do I sign up for an intramural sport?
- How do I register as a team captain?
- How do I invite members to my team?
- How do I register as a player on a team?
- What if I don't currently have a team to play on?
- How do I register as a Free Agent?
- Are there intramural officials?
- What is the difference between a competitive and recreational league?
- Do I need to attend a captain's meeting?
- What is a forfeit deposit?
- Where is the forfeit deposit turned in?
- Will I get my forfeit deposit back?
- What is the difference between a forfeit and a default?
- What are the responsibilities of a team captain?
- How do I sign in for intramurals at the Mathy Center?
- How do I sign in for intramurals at the Western Wellness Center?
- How do I sign in for intramurals at an outdoor or off-site location?
- Can I have spectators come watch me play intramurals?
- If I'm a Western student, what access do I have at the Mathy Center?
- If I'm a Viterbo student, what access do I have at the Western Wellness Center?
- What are the rules of the Mathy Center gym?
- When I choose a team name for intramurals, what should I consider?
- What is a sportsmanship policy?
- What happens if I have a bad sportsmanship rating?
- What happens if one of my teammates or myself is ejected from a game?
- If I am disqualfied from intramurals, how do I regain eligibility?
- Is there a championship tournament?
- Do all teams qualify for the championship tournament?
- What is the prize for winning the championship tournament?
- What happens if the weather is bad and we are suppose to have intramurals outdoors?
How many intramural seasons are there?
There are two intramural seasons each semester for a total of four seasons per academic year.
How long are the intramural seasons?
Intramural leagues run for five weeks. The first four weeks are regular league play while the final week is for championship tournaments.
How do I register?
The intramural program uses IMLeagues.com to manage online sign-up and scheduling. IMLeagues.com is a website designed specifically for college intramural departments. IMleagues.com allows teams to have customizable team pages, use message boards, and more.
All intramural participants will be required to create an account on IMLeagues.com. IMLeagues.com offers a live support button in the top right corner of all pages. Use this button if you encounter any difficulties.
How do I create an IMLeagues account?
- Go to www.imleagues.com. (A link is also provided on the intramural website at both schools, www.viterbo.edu/recsports or www.westerntc.edu/wellness)
- Click on the "Create Account" link.
- Enter your information, and use your school email address (@viterbo.edu or @students.westerntc.edu), and submit.
- You will be sent a confirmation email. Log in to IMLeagues.com by clicking the link at the bottom of the email.
- The Western Technical College/Viterbo University school link should pop up. Click "Join School."
How do I sign up for an intramural sport?
- Log in to your IMLeagues.com account
- Click on the "Western Technical College/Viterbo University" link.
- The current sports should be displayed toward the bottom of the screen. Click on the sport you wish to join.
- Choose the league you wish to participate in (competitive or recreational, if applicable).
- You can join the sport in one of three ways:
- Register as a team captain
- Register as a player on a team
- Register as a free agent
How do I register as a team captain?
- Click on the "create a team" button at the bottom of the Web page.
- Read the Intramural Wavier and check the box if you understand the waiver and agree to the terms outlined.
- Enter in your student ID number, team name, and phone number (a team logo may be uploaded and a description may be written, but both must be appropriate), then click submit.
How do I invite members to my team?
Captains may invite members to their team in two ways:
- imleagues: click the "invite members" link on the team page, search for their name, and invite them.
- If the student has not yet registered on IMLeagues: click the "invite members" link on the team page, then click the "can't find someone" click here to invite by email address" link, and input the students' email address.
**Your team will not be accepted into league until a minimum number of males and females have registered, you have passed the captain's quiz with an 80% pass rate, and your team forfeit deposit has been paid.**
How do I register as a player on a team?
- Find the team and captain name on division page and request to join.
- Go to the captain's playercard page, viewing his/her team, and request to join.
- Then accept a request from the captain to join his/her team.
What if I don't currently have a team to play on?
Any individual that is interested in participating, but is not part of a team can register as a 'Free Agent.' Free Agents are encouraged to email captains and other Free Agents to try to find a team or put one together. Free Agents are not guaranteed to be placed on a team, and it is suggested that they attempt to register on a team. All individuals interested in being a Free Agent should register themselves as a Free Agent electronically through IMLeagues.com prior to the registration deadline.
How do I register as a Free Agent?
- Click on the "Join as Free Agent" button at the bottom of the Web page.
- Read the Intramural Wavier and check the box if you understand the waiver and agree to the terms outlined.
- Enter in your student ID number, then click submit.
Are there intramural officials?
There are no intramural officials. The Viterbo/Western intramural program uses staff as site supervisors. Site supervisors are responsible for checking in participants, monitoring league play, and making necessary updates. All leagues are self-officiated.
What is the difference between a competitive and a recreational league?
In an attempt to equalize competition and balance league sizes, differing skill level leagues have been established for some of the larger sports. Competitive leagues are designed for those teams which are somewhat advanced in sport skills and strategies, and/or are motivated to play in a highly competitive atmosphere. Recreational leagues are designed for those teams who desire to play recreationally and have some experience and skill in organized sports.
All participants who are considered varsity athletes must participate in the competitive league.
The rec sports department reserves the right to move teams based on skill level.
Do I need to attend a captain's meeting?
In previous years, a mandatory captain's meeting was held the night registration was due, new for 2011-12 there will be no in-person captain's meetings. Instead, captain's will be required to watch an intramural policies video and take a short 15 question quiz. They must pass with an 80% pass rate in order to be a captain. In addition, previously captain's turned in their deposits the night of the captain's meeting. They now may turn in their deposits at one of the Intramural Registration Help Stations, or the Final Registration Help Station (the day of the registration deadline, from 5-8 p.m.)
What is a Forfeit Deposit?
In order to participant in any intramural league, all team leagues are required to turn in a $40 Forfeit Deposit before their team is scheduled into the league. The deposit is meant to prevent teams from forfeiting or dropping out of intramural leagues.
Where is the forfeit deposit turned in?
The Forfeit Deposits must be turned in prior to 8 p.m. on the registration deadline date. Deposits may be turned in at one of the Will I get my Forfeit Deposit back?
At the completion of the intramural sport league, if the team does not forfeit a competition during the course of the season, the $40 Forfeit Deposit will be returned. Forfeit Deposits must be picked up by the intramural team by the dates listed below:
- Fall Season 1: By the registration deadline day for Fall Season 2
- Fall Season 2: By the final day of finals week
- Spring Season 1: By the registration deadline day for Fall Season 2
- Spring Season 2: By the final day of finals week
If the Forfeit Deposit has not been picked up within this time period, the Forfeit Deposit will be kept by the Western/Viterbo Intramural program.
If the team forfeits or is removed from the league (removed by choice or at the discretion of the recreational sports staff), the $40 Forfeit Deposit will be kept by the Western/Viterbo intramural program.
Each team will be allowed a certain number of forfeits before the team is removed from the league. The number of forfeits will be determined by the sport and size of league. This determination will be made after scheduling is complete, and will be communicated before the first night of league play.
What is the difference between a forfeit and a default?
Default Policy: A team knowing in advance that they will be unable to play a regularly scheduled contest is provided the opportunity to default (not play this contest). In order for the contest to be considered a default, the team captain must contact the intramural sports office by 5 p.m. the day prior to the contest. Weekend/Monday requests must be made by noon on the preceding Friday.
Default vs. Forfeit: A team that properly defaults will receive a loss in the league standings, not a forfeit. A default does not result in the loss of a team's Forfeit Deposit.
Forfeit Policy: Games will be started on time. Teams are expected to be ready to play at game time. Any team failing to report to participate at the scheduled starting time shall forfeit to their opponent. If both teams fail to report to participate, each team shall be credited with a forfeit and the game shall not be rescheduled. This applies to special events as well.
Winning by Forfeit: In order for a team to receive a win by forfeit, it must have present the minimum number of players required to begin according to the rules of the sport at the scheduled game time and location.
Limit of Forfeits: Each team will be allowed a certain number of forfeits before the team is removed from the league. The number of forfeits will be determined once league scheduling is complete for that particular sport. If the team forfeits, the $25 Forfeit Deposit will be kept by the Western/Viterbo intramural program.
What are the responsibilities of a team captain?
Each team or individual entering an intramural activity must have a captain. The captain's responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring complete and accurate team information on the roster as well as keeping the roster up-to-date.
- Making sure that all members of the team are eligible to participate according to the Intramural Sports Policies and Procedures.
- Pass the mandatory captain's training quiz.
- Notifying team members of playing schedules/schedule changes.
- Ensuring that the adequate number of players from roster are available to play each night and that the adequate number of players arrive on site 15 minutes before game time.
- Communicating with one of the recreational sports staff by 5 p.m. the day before the contest in which you will not have adequate number of players to play your game. If proper notification is given, the team will receive a default. It will not be counted as a forfeit.
- Representing the team in the event of a protest.
- If a team is suspended for any reason, it is the captain's responsibility to represent their team in a meeting with the assistant director or intramural coordinator in order to regain eligibility.
- Promoting fair play and a positive atmosphere at contests.
- Responsible for their player's conduct before, during, and after each intramural contest. Similarly, they are responsible for the conduct of their team's fans.
How do I sign in for intramurals at the Mathy Center?
Upon entering the Mathy Center for an intramural event or program, each person must show his/her valid Western ID or scan his/her valid Viterbo ID at the welcome center desk. If a staff or student does not have his/her ID card, admittance to the Mathy Center will be refused. Once the participant shows his/her ID card to the site supervisor, they will be checked off on the intramural sign-in sheet. If the person's name does not appear on the roster, the individual is not eligible to participate until registered.
How do I sign in for intramurals at the Western Wellness Center?
Upon entering the Wellness Center for an intramural event or program, each intramural participant must show his/her valid Western ID or Viterbo ID at the sign-in table. The Wellness Center staff will then check the participant off on the intramural sign-in sheet. If the person's name does not appear on the roster, the individual is not eligible to participate until registered.
How do I sign in for intramurals at an outdoor or off-site location?
Upon arriving for an intramural event or program located somewhere other than the Mathy Center or the Western Wellness Center, each intramural participant must show his/her valid Western or Viterbo ID to site supervisor and sign in under his/her team.
Can I have spectators come watch me play intramurals?
Spectators who are not current Viterbo members will not be allowed to attend any intramural event at the Mathy Center.
There will be no spectators allowed in the Western Wellness Center.
For intramural events taking place in a location other than the Mathy Center or the Western Wellness Center, please refer to a recreational sports service staff.
If I'm a Western student, what access do I have at the Mathy Center?
All current Viterbo students, employees, and paid alumni have full access to Mathy Center facilities and all recreational programs.
All current Western students, staff, and spouses who are intramural participants have limited access to the area in which the intramural activity is taking place (i.e., gymnasium, bathrooms, and welcome center).
Viterbo University reserves the right to limit access to its facilities and programs.
If I'm a Viterbo student, what access do I have at the Western Wellness Center?
All current Western Wellness Center members have rights to the Wellness Center.
All current Viterbo intramural participants, Western students who are not members of the Western Wellness Center, and spouses, will have access to the gym area only and should enter the Western Wellness Center gym through the doors located off of parking lot A.
What are the rules of the Mathy Center gym?
During contests at the Mathy Center, all Mathy Center gymnasium rules must be followed:
- No dunking or hanging on the rims.
- Appropriate attire is to be worn at all times while using the facility.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
- Sports-bras, bathing suit tops, halter tops, etc. are not acceptable.
- Clothing with inappropriate logos or advertising are not permitted in the Mathy Center (i.e., alcohol, tobacco).
- Only athletic-type shoes may be worn in the gymnasium.
- No food or beverages are permitted in the gymnasium.
- Refrain from using profanity in the Mathy Center.
When I choose a team name for intramurals, what should I consider?
The intramural program encourages participants to be creative when choosing a team name. However, the intramural sports program reserves the right to change any team name that is deemed inappropriate or offensive to participants (including names involving alcohol, profanity or of an offensive or sexually explicit nature). Use proper judgment when selecting names and uniform artwork. Our goal is to have a pleasant, fun atmosphere for everyone competing. If you are unsure if a team name will be accepted, call the assistant director or intramural coordinator and ask.
What is a sportsmanship policy?
Integral to the philosophy of Viterbo/Western intramurals is that good sportsmanship and fair play are vital aspects of intramural competition. It is necessary for the successful operation of the program that individuals display proper conduct in all instances. The Sportsmanship Rating System is intended to be an objective scale by which teams' attitudes and behaviors can be assessed. The rating system will be used to aid in the determination of team rankings and eligibility to participate in the season ending championship tournament. A team's continuous poor sportsmanship rating may result in disciplinary action by the professional personnel of Viterbo and Western.
On each night of league play, every team will collectively rate their opponents on their sportsmanship after each game. After a team has decided on a rating, it must be reported to the site supervisor to record on the score sheet. Behavior before, during, and after a contest is included in each rating. In addition, the site supervisor will give a sportsmanship rating to each team. The rec sports staff reserves the right to review and/or change any sportsmanship rating given.
What happens if I have a bad sportsmanship rating?
All teams are required to have a sportsmanship average of a three in order to remain in the league. If a team falls below a three, the captain will be required to meet with either the assistant director or intramural coordinator and the team will be placed on probation. During probation, the team will have one week to get their sportsmanship average above a three or they will be removed from the league. If a team falls below an average of a three twice during the season they will be removed from the league. If a team is removed from the league, they automatically lose their Forfeit Deposit.
What happens if one of my teammates or myself is ejected from a game?
A player disqualified from the game for conduct must leave the area/complex after speaking with an intramural site supervisor immediately, and will be declared ineligible for play in any intramural sports activity until he/she has submitted a letter requesting reinstatement and has met with either the director or assistant director of rec sports and/or the Wellness Center manager or intramural coordinator. The player shall be suspended for no less than one game. The suspension will not begin until after the suspended person has met with either the director or assistant director of rec sports and/or the Wellness Center manager or intramural coordinator. Failure to leave the area/complex may result in disqualification of the captain, or forfeiture of the game. A second occurrence of unsportsmanlike conduct by a team may result in that team's elimination for the remainder of the season.
A team which participates with an ejected player in a regular season game shall forfeit that game.
If I am disqualified from intramurals, how do I regain my eligibility?
To regain eligibility, the ejected player must prepare a typed statement detailing the events that took place; drop off a copy of the statement and set-up an appointment with one of the recreational service staff to discuss the matter. Even if it is the last contest for their team, the ejected person's suspension will continue until the person meets with one of the recreational sports staff or Western Wellness Center staff. Final judgments are retained by the recreational sports staff or Western Wellness Center staff at the location where the incident occurred.
Is there a championship tournament?
The fifth week of the league is a championship tournament.
Do all teams qualify for the championship tournament?
Due to the size of some leagues, not all teams may be eligible to participate in the season ending championship tournament. The number of teams eligible for championship play will be determined after league play has been scheduled. In order to be eligible to participate in the season ending championship tournament, teams must have a sportsmanship average of a three at the completion of week four. Any team who does not have a team representative present at the captain's meeting held prior to league play will not be eligible for championship play. Teams will be notified via email of their tournament eligibility. Tournament seeding will be determined based on the following scale:
- Teams will be ranked in order based on their wins and losses.
- If there is a tie, the team with the higher sportsmanship average will get the higher seed.
- If a tie remains, the team with the most points for and least points against them will get the higher seed.
- If a tie still remains, the team that won in a head to head competition will receive the higher seed.
What is the prize for winning the championship tournament?
In each league, T-shirts will be awarded to the championship team. In order for a player to be eligible for a championship T-shirt, he/she must have been on the roster of the championship team and participated in at least one game.
What happens if the weather is bad and we are suppose to have intramurals outdoors?
Intramural sports makes every effort to play all activities as regularly scheduled. In the event that your team's schedule changes due to a default/forfeit, weather cancellation, or another extenuating circumstance, team captains will receive notification via IMLeagues.com through an email message, and if set up, a text message. There will also be a league announcement located on the league page on IMLeagues.com.
Cancellation of Outdoor Activities
Rainouts will not be determined until 3 p.m. each day. Team captains will receive notification via IMLeagues.com through an email message, and if set up, a text message. There will also be a league announcement located on the league page on IMLeagues.com. Intramural sports will not call participants to inform them of cancellations due to weather.