Philosophy is being recognized more and more as one of the strongest and most versatile undergraduate degrees you can obtain. In fact, we live in an age where employers want employees to be more than just knowledgeable in their chosen field, but also critical thinkers, clear communicators, and ethical decision makers. These skills are central in the study of philosophy.
More specifically philosophy teaches students:
- to think objectively and critically
- to write clearly and effectively
- to break down complex problems and ideas and present them convincingly to others
- to analyze different policies for consistency and fairness
- to develop creative solutions to unique situations
- to recognize when people are being manipulated
- to appreciate the value of intellectual history and the power of ideas
- to contemplate the larger meaning and purpose of their lives
- to see the value of questioning and intellectual curiosityy
- to make transparent and reliable ethical decisions
A philosophy major or minor is a nice way of making your application and resume stand out, which shows employers that you have a strong interest in thinking critically, have an open mind, and value innovation. Many disciplines teach critical thinking and ethical decision-making indirectly through their course content. Philosophy focuses on these subjects directly. If you are interested in improving these skills for whatever reason, then philosophy is for you.
Why Study Philosophy at Viterbo?