What is Young Adult Literature?
(from Literature for Today’s Young Adults by Kenneth L. Donelson and Alleen Nilsen)
· Conflicts are often consistent with the young adult’s experience – strong, believable plot; not predictable
· Themes are of interest to young people – family relationships, friends and society, racial and ethnic relationships, body and self, sexual relationships
· Protagonists and most characters are young adults
· The language parallels the language of young people
· The novels are generally shorter than “adult” fiction
· The diction and syntax are appropriate for the age of the reader