English 321 – Young Adult Masterpieces
Grant T. Smith, Ph. D.
Discussion Questions: The Canning Season
· Why did this book win a major award in young adult fiction?
· How is this book like a fairy tale? What fairy tale conventions are in the book? Why is this significant?
· How is the representation of “mother” different in this book from the representation of mother in Invincible Louisa and Caddie Woodlawn? What do you make of the difference?
· How do you respond to the violence in the book? The grotesque humor?
· When you think of “canning,” what images come to your mind?
· What symbols do you find in the book, and how do they function?
Ø That Thing
· What is this story about?