Viterbo University Names Teacher, Employee of the Year at Annual Rose Awards
Mike Behan (pictured with President Rick Artman), associate professor of business, was named Viterbo’s 2015 Teacher of the Year at the annual Rose Awards ceremony April 30.
“Mike Behan’s only concern is the well-being of his students,” wrote a student who nominated him for the award. “He is always happy to listen and offer advice in and out of the classroom. While the material he teaches may be difficult, he teaches it in a way that makes students understand it. I am so grateful to have Mike Behan as a professor and life mentor."
Gene McCurdy, director of physical plant, was named Employee of the Year.
“Gene McCurdy skillfully leads one of the largest staffs on campus,” wrote a person who nominated him for the award. “His cool, rational, and consultative approach is shown and appreciated in his daily interactions and in demanding situations. Gene performs a wide range of responsibilities with honesty, commitment, personal accountability, and professionalism.”
Others honored at the Rose Awards were:
- Michael Ranscht, Fine Arts Center, received the Sr. Helen Elsbernd Distinguished Service Award, which is presented to a person who has provided outstanding service to the university for more than 20 years, typically in more than one capacity.
- Tammy Clark, chemistry, was presented with the Alec Chiu Award, which is given for exceptional work in fostering and developing scholarly opportunities for both students and faculty.
- Dorothy Lenard, biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics, received the Father J. Thomas Finucan Exemplar of Mission Award. The award is given to a person who has demonstrated exemplary dedication to the mission of the university.
- Pat Kerrigan, vice president for communications and marketing, was honored with the title of Vice President Emeritus.
- The communications and marketing office received the Pax et Bonum Award, which is given in recognition of the demonstrating of the Franciscan values of service, respect, hospitality, stewardship, and joy throughout the Viterbo community.
- Joan Henthorne, education, and Donna Benden, education, were presented with the Outstanding Undergraduate Academic Advisor Award for their work with students.
- Receiving Servant Leader Awards for outstanding leadership were Michael Alfieri, biology, Diane Engh, business office, Sonya Ganther, human resources, Keith Knutson, history, and Jean Saladino, music.
Receiving the Outstanding Adjunct Professor Award for their respective schools were Mike Boland, College of Business and Leadership; Christine Damrow, College of Arts and Letters; Larry Engel, Center for Adult Learning; Christina O’Neill, College of Education, Science, and Mathematics; and Ingrid Peterson, College of Nursing, Health, and Human Behavior.