May 6, 2004
Contact Julie Larson @ 796-3737 or firstname.lastname@example.org
VITERBO ANNOUNCES 2004-2005 BRIGHT STAR SEASON
LA CROSSE, Wis. -- The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, the King’s Singers, and the Soweto Gospel Choir of South Africa are just a few of the many outstanding performers who will grace the stage at Viterbo University during the 2004-2005 Bright Star Season.
The Bright Star Season begins in September and is held in the Fine Arts Center Main Theatre. The events are:
- Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis, Monday, Sept. 13 at 7:30 p.m. Musician of the Year trumpeter Wynton Marsalis conducts the world’s most swinging big band comprised of 15 of today’s finest musicians.
- Great Expectations, Friday and Saturday, Oct. 8 and 9 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 10 at 2 p.m. A poor boy with rich dreams finds fortune in this unforgettable story of unattainable love that will move the audience to laughter and tears. Dickens at his best presented by Viterbo University.
- King’s Singers, Saturday, Oct. 30 at 7:30 p.m. With pure a cappella vocals spanning from 16th-century madrigals to top 40 hits, the six Englishmen of the King’s Singers have become one of the world’s most sought-after vocal ensembles.
- The Amadeus Trio, Friday, Nov. 12 at 7:30 p.m. This piano trio is one of the most dynamic chamber music groups performing today.
- Handel’s Messiah, Saturday, Dec. 4 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 5 at 2 p.m. Celebrate the holiday season with this timeless classic presented by Viterbo University.
- Hubbard Street 2, Friday, Feb. 4, at 7:30 p.m. This young, vibrant company of six dancers performs a repertoire full of exuberance and high velocity.
- The Pirates of Penzance, Friday and Saturday, Feb. 25-26 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday Feb. 27 at 2 p.m. This comic Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is a swashbuckling masterpiece presented by Viterbo University.
- Soweto Gospel Choir, Wednesday, March 2 at 7:30 p.m. This 32 member South African choir celebrates the rich heritage of their country with their earthly rhythms, rich harmonies, and sheer jubilation.
- Christopher O’ Riley and Fred Hersch, Saturday, March 19 at 7:30 p.m. These phenomenal pianists will amaze the audience with their brilliant musicianship.
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Tuesday, April 12 at 7:30 p.m. Bursting with energy, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is fun and romance-filled with show stopping dances.
- Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo, Friday, April 22 at 7:30 p.m. The world’s foremost ballet company returns to Viterbo, dancing the fine line between high art and high camp.
- Just added--the Glenn Miller Orchestra, Tuesday, Nov. 2 at 7:30 p.m. Special added performance that is not part of the regular Bright Star season. Still one of the most sought-after big bands, the Glenn Miller Orchestra proves that Swing is King. Experience their unique jazz song with many timeless classics.
A discount will be given on season tickets purchased by June 16. Individual tickets are available Aug. 24. For additional information about Bright Star events, please contact the Viterbo Fine Arts Center Box Office at 608-796-3100 or visit their website at www.viterbo.edu/academic/ug/sfa/bss.htm.