October 31, 2003
VITERBO CELEBRATES INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION MONTH
LA CROSSE, Wis.—November is International Education Month and Viterbo University has arranged a series of events designed to create awareness about international cultures and issues. Activities include:
- Thursday, Nov. 6: A Seventh Day Discussion, "Korea to Afghanistan: Is the U.S. Military Stretched to Thin?" From 12-1 p.m. in Murphy Center Room 419C.
- Thursday, Nov. 6: Bright Star Season: Belize National Dance Company, 7:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center Main Theatre. Tickets are $30/$24.
- Friday, Nov. 7: Caribbean Carnival Dance for students, 9 p.m.-1 a.m. in the Marian Hall Cafeteria. Tickets $5 in advance or $6 at door.
- Tuesday, Nov. 11: Tertulia, the Viterbo Spanish Club, is showing a documentary: Señorita Extraviada, 7-9 p.m. in the Student Development Center on Winnebago Street.
- Thursday, Nov. 13: "Meet Your Seamstress: Sweatshirts and Sweatshops," a presentation and discussion by the Mexico Solidarity Network exploring sweatshop working conditions in Mexico. Presentation by Marco Polo Rodriguez and Patricia Bonilla, 6 p.m.-8 p.m. Reinhart Center Room 127.
- Friday, Nov. 14: Seventh Day Discussion: Faculty Panel on Teaching & Learning Abroad, "What We've Done. What’s Next?" with Rolf Samuels, English; Pat Zander, nursing; Paul Sannerud, fine arts; and Lyon Evans, English. 12-1 p.m., Murphy Center Room 419C.
- Tuesday, Nov. 18: Human Rights Issues: Learn about human rights issues that Amnesty International monitors. Students can lend their name to a letter-writing campaign against human rights abuses. There will be a display table in Murphy Center Lobby throughout the day.
- Saturday, Nov. 22: Dubna Trio: Celebrating 15 Years, 7 p.m. Fine Arts Center-Recital Hall.
- Tuesday, Nov. 25: Transcultural Nursing Symposium, place and time to be announced at a later date.
In addition, a photo exhibit featuring "Russian Life and People" will be on display in the Fine Arts Center Hospitality Suite throughout the month.
International Education Month activities at Viterbo University are sponsored by the Office of Global Education, Spanish Club, World Languages Department, Global Rhythms International Student Club, the School of Nursing, the Faculty Development Program, and the La Crosse-Dubna Friendship Association.
For more information on the events contact the Office of Global Education at 608-796-3172 or 608-796-3170.