December 3, 2002
VITERBO TREE-LIGHTING CEREMONY BEGINS HOLIDAY SEASON
LA CROSSE, Wis.—It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas at Viterbo University and to start the festivities there will be a Tree-lighting Ceremony on Dec. 3 at 3:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center Lobby.
This annual event includes prayer, carols, and refreshments. The tree will be blessed and "lit" in front of the entire Viterbo community and will include reflections from students, staff, and faculty.
Other holiday activities include:
- Caroling for Cans, Dec. 2: Join the Marian Hall Residential Assistants in caroling for cans. The group will meet at 8:15 p.m. and sing for nonperishable donations for area food pantries on the way to the downtown Rotary Lights.
- President’s Dinner, Dec. 5: Students will be ushered to their tables by Viterbo President William Medland and enjoy a free dinner served by faculty and staff. Following dinner, students can participate in window decorating for the holidays in the Student Union. Santa will also be available for photos from 5-7 p.m.
- Angel Tree, through Dec. 6: Students in Free Enterprise are again placing an Angel Tree in the Murphy Center Lobby. The tree offers a chance for people to choose a name, buy a gift, wrap it, and return it to the tree to benefit area children in need.
- Christmas Clothing Drive, through Dec. 6: Clothing donations can be dropped off at the Student Union Front Desk and all items will be given to the Salvation Army. The drive has already surpassed its goal of 2,000 pieces of clothing and is now aiming for 3,000.
- Wrap-it-up for Charity, Dec. 7: The Marian Hall Residential Assistants are wrapping gifts for charity at Barnes and Noble from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Alumni Children’s Christmas Party, Dec. 7: This annual favorite starts at 10 a.m. and will conclude at noon in the Fine Arts Center Lobby. All alumni are invited to take the kids to see Santa and enjoy food, music, and games.
- Christmas with the V-Hawks, Dec. 7: Children in grades K-5th are invited to spend the day with Viterbo athletes touring the athletic facilities and attending the women’s basketball game, where they can enjoy free pop and popcorn. Events begin at 2 p.m. and students from all schools are welcome to attend. There will also be a few Christmas surprises during this event. For more information, or if you know anyone interested in attending, please contact Sandy Hotvedt at 796-3811.
- President’s Evening Breakfast, Dec. 8: Students are invited to take a break from cramming for finals at 9 p.m. in the Marian hall Dining room to enjoy a hearty breakfast with all the fixings.