March 27, 2002
VITERBO OFFERS ALTERNATIVES DURING ALCOHOL AWARENESS WEEK (APRIL 7-12)
LA CROSSE, Wis.— Binge drinking statistics remain high on college campuses throughout the U.S. but Viterbo University students and staff are taking a closer look at ways to increase awareness of this and other alcohol-related issues during Alcohol Awareness Week (April 7-12).
"During alcohol awareness week, we are promoting low risk alcohol choices, along with awareness about the consequences of alcohol abuse, to students and the Viterbo community through education, and alternatives that they can incorporate into their daily life," said Anne Ellefson, Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (AODA) prevention specialist. To increase awareness, a number of activities sponsored by different clubs and organizations on campus have been organized:
- Conversation with the Bottle on Monday, April 8, from 7:00-9:00 p.m. in the library conference room 133, sponsored by the Psychology Club. A panel comprised of treatment providers, law enforcement personnel, individuals impacted by alcohol abuse, and a special guest speaker will share information about their experiences.
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse: The Nursing Response on Tuesday, at 5:30 p.m. in Nursing Center 122 will feature a panel of three nurses and a social worker presenting alcohol and drug information tailored for health care workers, especially for student nurses.
- What’s Brewin’ at Mug Shots? Tuesday, April 9, at 7 p.m. in the future site of the campus coffeehouse (former Lumen Office in Marian Hall South Annex), sponsored by the Coffee House Club. Students can check out the site for next year’s coffeehouse and enjoy a free hot beverage.
- Stress B Gone, Monday, April 8, from 1:30-3:30 p.m. in Viterbo Courtyard (between Murphy and Student Activities Center), sponsored by Connect Club. Students can stop by to enjoy a massage, blow some bubbles, have a pillow fight, make their own stress ball, color, or get information on stress management. There will be a contest for best sidewalk art and best Play Dough sculptures. Rain date is Wednesday.
- Mocktail Contest, Wednesday, April 10, from 4:30-6 p.m. in the Cafeteria, sponsored by Global Rhythms. Students will taste test non-alcoholic drinks prepared by students and organizations, then vote for their favorite.
- Connect Club’s Sexual Assault and Alcohol Presentation on Thursday evening at 7 p.m. in San Damiano Chapel will feature information about sexual assault prevention and about intervention strategies especially relevant for nursing, social work, criminal justice, and psychology majors.
- Viterbo Night at the Pearl, Thursday, April 11, from 7-9 p.m., sponsored by RSB. A Viterbo student or staff ID is good for a free single-scoop ice cream cone (large for 50 cents more) downtown at the Pearl Ice Cream and Coffee Shop. Live music performed by Viterbo students is the entertainment.
- Sigma Pi Delta’s Wall in the Union. Students can remember someone whose life was affected by alcohol by adding his or her name to the wall.
- Education Club’s Sidewalk Messages will help promote the week’s activities.
- Plenty of Stuff to Do! Students in the Introduction to Chemical Dependency class will share results with local high schools to show them what college students really do and counter the perceptions of college as party time.
- "It’s Elementary" posters will be on campus. The RAs enlisted students at a local elementary school to develop these alcohol awareness posters.
For more information on these events, or to find out about other Alcohol Awareness Week activities, please contact Ellefson at 796- 3807 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.