May 8, 2008
Contact Wayne Wojciechowski at 608-796-3080 or email@example.com
VITERBO UNIVERSITY NAMES TEACHER OF THE YEAR
LA CROSSE, Wis. – Susan Cosby Ronnenberg, an assistant professor of English, was named Viterbo University’s 2008 Teacher of the Year at the annual Rose Awards ceremony May 1.
“She has a way of presenting intimidating material in a way that all students can understand, whether it’s providing visuals, explaining the subject in easier terms, or simply allotting one-on-one time to discuss the material,” said one Viterbo student.
Viterbo English department chair Rolf Samuels said Cosby Ronnenberg has the trust of her students and she uses that trust to motivate them to excel.
Cosby Ronnenberg earned her Ph.D. from the University of Oklahoma. She teaches Shakespeare, History of the English Languages, Composition, and Honors English. She also teaches in the School of Adult Learning.
Other Viterbo employees honored at the Rose Awards were:
- Jason Howard, philosophy, received the Alec Chiu Award, which is presented for exceptional work at Viterbo to foster and develop scholarly opportunities for both students and faculty.
- Dining Services, led by director Mary Simota, was presented with the Pax et Bonum Award, which is given in recognition of demonstrating the Franciscan values of service, respect, hospitality, stewardship, and joy throughout the Viterbo community.
- Mike Collins, chemistry, received the Sr. Helen Elsbernd Distinguished Service Award. The honor is presented to an individual who has served the university for more than 20 years, typically in more than one capacity. Nancy Danou, nursing, was presented with the Outstanding Academic Advisor Award for her work with students.
- Rosemary Matiak, registrar’s office, received the Father J. Thomas Finucan Exemplar of Mission Award for her demonstrated exemplary dedication to the mission of the university.
- Employees receiving Servant Leader awards were Jane Eddy, Learning Center, Sue Danielson, health services, and Jim Bagniewski, graduate education.