Jan. 31, 2017
Contact Tammy Clark 608-796-3470 or firstname.lastname@example.org
VITERBO UNIVERSITY RECEIVES ACCREDITATION FROM PRESTIGIOUS AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR BIOCHEMISTRY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
LA CROSSE, Wis. – The Viterbo University biochemistry and molecular biology programs have received accreditation from the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB).
The ASBMB completed an in-depth evaluation of several criteria, including university resources, curriculum, approaches to teaching, and strength of faculty in the sciences. The ASBMB cited several aspects of the Viterbo biochemistry program as particularly noteworthy:
- An interdisciplinary curriculum grounded in student-centered, active learning approaches.
- The yearly safety certification course for undergraduates participating in Viterbo’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship program.
- The extensive undergraduate research curriculum that spans three semesters.
- The number of diversity initiatives to support and recruit students.
- Professional development opportunities for faculty.
“We are very proud of our science programs being recognized for excellence at a national level,” said Tammy Clark, Viterbo faculty member and chair of the chemistry department. "We continually strive to provide engaging experiences. This accreditation will lead to ASBMB-certified degrees for our students, which will be an excellent asset as they apply for graduate programs and employment.”
Viterbo’s science programs are taught in state-of-the-art facilities in the university’s D.B. and Marge Reinhart Center for Ethics, Science, and Technology. For more information on Viterbo’s natural science and pre-health programs, visit www.viterbo.edu/school-natural-sciences-and-mathematics.