Music Education at Viterbo
Music teachers and directors are passionate about music. They love learning and growing as they teach and make a positive impact on their students’ lives. A music education degree provides the skills and techniques and life experience to be well-prepared in the classroom. Whether you want to be a music teacher in high school, middle school, or elementary school, Viterbo University provides a small school environment with experienced faculty in a state-of-the-art facility so you can grow musically and personally to reach your full potential.
Viterbo’s program is a professional, National Association of Schools of Music-approved degree that provides comprehensive certification, kindergarten through grade 12 general, and grade 6–12 choral. With a 97 percent pass rate on the Praxis Subject Assessment Test, Viterbo music education graduates are highly sought after. With a degree in music education from Viterbo University, graduates learn classroom management skills and are ready to help their students grow musically and personally.
- Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music
- A faculty coach/accompanist provided for each voice major
- Opportunities to participate in fully-staged opera and music theatre productions
- Instruction from artist/scholar faculty with extensive professional experience
- Opportunities to participate and tour with small and large choral ensembles and classical and show choirs
- Four state-of-the-art performance facilities: Viterbo University Fine Arts Center Main Theatre and Recital Hall, Viterbo University’s LaCroix Black Box Theatre, and the Weber Center for the Performing Arts
- Newly restored Steinway grand pianos
- Study abroad opportunities
"I feel that my education at Viterbo has prepared me quite well for real-world experiences. When I attended my classes I always felt like I left with something valuable to put toward learning the next day or teaching in my clinical experiences. There are many schools out there who are willing to offer you a wonderful education, but Viterbo offers something more. Visit Viterbo, set up a tour and see for yourself—you will not be disappointed."
- Choral director
- Director of musical organizations
- K–12 public and private school music teacher
- Music licensing administrator
- Private music teacher
Graduate Schools/Employers of Alumni
- Copy Cat Licensing
- Local school districts, including La Crosse, Black River Falls, Sparta, and Tomah
- Northwestern University
- Purdue University
- SSE Music Company
- University of Northern Iowa