Servant Leadership Summer Institute
Graduate Program in Servant Leadership
Servant Leadership Summer Institute
The Summer Institute is designed for professionals from throughout the United States and other countries who require the convenience of being in residence on the Viterbo University campus in La Crosse, Wisconsin for two weeks each summer.
- The Master of Arts in Servant Leadership (MASL) degree can be completed in three years
- May finish more quickly by enrolling in additional online courses between their summers in residence
- The program is based on the principles of adult learning in which students build on their professional and life experiences in acquiring new information
- Learning takes place within a collegial atmosphere using active learning strategies, discussions, small group work, and other activities
- In addition to creating a learning community, participants are immersed in worship and a spiritual environment that is open to members of all faiths
Apply online now.
- Summer Institute is a blend of online work and a two week block of intensive study on campus, enabling learners to earn the 32 credits required for the Master of Arts in Servant Leadership
- Adult learners access course syllabi via an online course delivery system, work at a distance, and network via Blackboard and E-mail with professors and learner colleagues prior to coming to La Crosse for the concentrated two week summer experience
- Course readings and assignment completion are required prior to, during, and following each summer session
- Tuition costs are reasonable
- Participants with significant previous experience related to servant leadership may prepare a portfolio consideration toward graduate credit
- Online courses may be taken to accelerate a student’s progress toward the degree
- Learners residing in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois or Iowa may also choose to enroll in face-to-face courses taught on campus during Fall and Spring Semesters
- The Viterbo University MASL program accepts up to nine graduate credits for course work earned within the last ten years
- La Crosse is served by two airlines (American and Delta), Amtrak, and Bus Lines
- Private vendors offer ground shuttle service from the Rochester and Minneapolis-St. Paul airports to La Crosse
- La Crosse travel may be accomplished by way of a taxi, rental car or city bus
Views of La Crosse, Wisconsin, on the Mississippi River, from a top the riverbluffs, downtown and along the riverfront.
Summer Institute and Ethical Leadership Schedule 2013
The course outline may be subject to change.
- SVLD 601 Servant Leadership Theory and Practice, Tom Thibodeau, June 16, 17, 18, 19, noon - 8 p.m., 3 credits, (Core Course)
- SVLD 602 Theological and Philosophical Foundations of Servant Leadership Matthew Bersagel Braley, June 16, 17, 18, 19, noon - 8 p.m., 3 credits, (Core Course)
- SVLD 610 Methods of Leadership Research, Barbara Gayle and Raymond Preiss, June 25, 26, 27, 28, noon - 8 p.m., 3 credits, (Core Course)
- SVLD 655 Stewardship: Franciscan Theology of Environmental Stewardship, Rick Kyte, June 20, 21, and June 23, 24, 3 credits, noon - 8 p.m., (Elective Course)
- SVLD 605 Colloquium, TBA, June 22, Saturday, 2 credits, (Core Course) Advisor permission required
Also offered during the summer of 2013, but not part of the Summer Institute:
- Greenleaf Conference - Attendance and submit paper, 1 credit, June 2013
- ETHL 531 Interpersonal and Organizational Excellence I, Tom Thibodeau, July 8 - 11, 3 credits, (Elective Course)
- ETHL 532 Interpersonal and Organizational Excellence II, Tom Thibodeau, July 22 - 25, 3 credits, (Elective Course)
- SVLD 601 Servant Leadership Theory and Practice, Tom Thibodeau, July 15–18, 3 credits, Milwaukee Viterbo Center
| Apply online now!